Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS-850 High idle

Yet another idle thread,

This morning I decided to take the vacumn off the petcock. I suspect I am having petcock promblems, It seems to want to die when idleing for extended periods.

I have ran it for a couple days on prime and that seems too have fixed that problem. After looking at the vacumn line it is pretty cracked so I block it off at the #2 carb and at the petcock. But when I fired it back up it just stays at 3000 RPM.

Thinking the previous owner had bumped up the idle speed to mask another problem I tried to adjust it down but backing the adjuster out 3 turns has no effect.

Any Ideas? I plan to replace the vacumn hose and purchase another petcock, but I really dont want to tear the bike down till the snow flies. Then I will pull the carbs off and give them a good inspection.

I did try other vacumn caps as well. The intakes were replaced 500 miles ago as well and I checked the clamps that hold the carbs.

It's an age-old question, but it has to be asked ...

have you cleaned the carbs and replaced the o-rings?

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
      It's an age-old question, but it has to be asked ...

have you cleaned the carbs and replaced the o-rings?

Not yet...

I am a little baffled by the fact that all I did was plug off the vacumn line and this problem showed up.

I would have thought it would have done the opposite looking at the condition of the vacumn line. I just got back from a 5 mile test ride. Other than the 3K idle it runs good. Sounds smooth, No popping and it does idle down when I let off the throttle but stays at about 2800 RPM . I also checked to make sure the throttle cable had some slack , which it does.

Edit: I stole the hose off my Vacumn gage, No change. I did take a vacumn reading, about 12 Lbs. with a little flutter which I expected.
      Last edited by Guest; 09-29-2010, 12:33 PM.

Comment

i plugged the vacuum system after it stated sucking gas into the engine. i went permanent manual. BUT, i also had flaky idle problems til i rebuilt the carbs, replaced carb o-rings and boot o-rings. it took a little teaking for a good fuel mix...sometimes i'm a little slow on mechanics , but now? work good, last long time. idle stays consistent

Comment

Originally posted by Furious D View Post
          Yet another idle thread,

This morning I decided to take the vacumn off the petcock. I suspect I am having petcock promblems, It seems to want to die when idleing for extended periods.

I have ran it for a couple days on prime and that seems too have fixed that problem. After looking at the vacumn line it is pretty cracked so I block it off at the #2 carb and at the petcock. But when I fired it back up it just stays at 3000 RPM.

Thinking the previous owner had bumped up the idle speed to mask another problem I tried to adjust it down but backing the adjuster out 3 turns has no effect.
          No effect? at some point the throttle plates will close down enough for the engine to stall. Something must be hanging them up, OR you have a intake air leak, despite any claims that all is tight from carbs to engine. Those carb clamps can fool you, especially on old hard boots.
          1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Originally posted by tom203 View Post
            No effect? at some point the throttle plates will close down enough for the engine to stall. Something must be hanging them up, OR you have a intake air leak, despite any claims that all is tight from carbs to engine. Those carb clamps can fool you, especially on old hard boots.

I wonder if there is a problem with the idle speed adjuster. Its really hard to turn. I cant see it but I will try to use an inspection mirror to look at it.

Rubber boots are pretty new and I checked the clamps.

Comment

Working...
            X