Muffler and connections

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Muffler and connections

I am need some help on putting my muffler back together. I don't have the offical names of the parts so keep that in mind. The PO had used U bolts to attach the end of the muffler to the middle sections. Looking at the fische I am not sure how they connect back up or what to use to connect them back together. Are the mufflers not supposed to be seperated where the u bolts are?

I believe those are suppose to be welded together, and it looks as if po cut them off. Probably easist thing to do would be take them to a welding shop (or exhust shop) and see if they can weld them back. terrylee

Comment

The exhaust systems on the different bikes came in many variations. Yours appear to have been a 3-piece system, with #2&3 being joined by the crossover pipe, and #1&4 going all the way back to the mufflers, with "Y"s in the middle to join up the inner pipes.

You can see the jagged edges of the torched cut right beside the clamp. It's also quite possible that those mufflers were not cut from those exhaust pipes. The ends of the collector pipes are cut rather cleanly. It's possible that the original mufflers were in bad shape and these were better, hence the splice job.

Here is a picture from the parts fiche:
      sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Fascinating! Always wanted to try my hand at welding But, I might have to think about this one. Money is starting to get tight and this bike is a taker of money and a giver of good times...

Thanks for the input. Glad I didn't go out and spend the $50 for the connecting hardware and gaskets.

Comment

Here's a link to a guy who supplies parts for Yam XS650s:

He sells some spacers, clamps, and brackets that may help, and the prices look ok. It looks like about $25 for spacers and clamps (around $5 each).

Make sure you have accurate measurements for everything. I get the impression that Mike is a little bit of a stickler about returns.

Good luck!

Comment

Having recently had my exhaust system off, I'd like to note that the clamps shown in the fiche seem to be very different in function from the typical automotive muffler clamp. The pipes themselves do not actually get crimped by the clamp, rather they the tighten down on the fiber thingy which encircles the pipe. I think that fiber thingy butts up against the other pipe forming a seal, and the clamp keeps the thingy firmly in place. All pipes are held firmly in place by either the mounting rings at the head, or bolts to the frame - there is no give or play in the system, so these fiber thingamahoozits are able to keep a constant seal. So the practical summary is, the clamps do not hold the two pipes together. Errr, how did I do?
            "Men will never be free until Mark learns to do The Twist."

-Denis D'shaker

79 GS750N

Comment

Originally posted by Allie View Post
              Having recently had my exhaust system off, I'd like to note that the clamps shown in the fiche seem to be very different in function from the typical automotive muffler clamp. The pipes themselves do not actually get crimped by the clamp, rather they the tighten down on the fiber thingy which encircles the pipe. I think that fiber thingy butts up against the other pipe forming a seal, and the clamp keeps the thingy firmly in place. All pipes are held firmly in place by either the mounting rings at the head, or bolts to the frame - there is no give or play in the system, so these fiber thingamahoozits are able to keep a constant seal. So the practical summary is, the clamps do not hold the two pipes together. Errr, how did I do?
              Nicely, Allie...as always...very well done.

Comment

I don't think you should weld those pipes, you'll ruin the finnish.

Mikalor stainless HD hose calmps work really well....... http://www.namikalor.com/supra_w4.html
                GSX1300R NT650 XV535

Comment

Thanks Allie, I think I might try a gasket or the thingy you are talking about combined with derwoods clamps. Might work, thanks. The cones Tracer put up look nice, but I haven't progressed to making stuff work, welding and stuff like that. Next year maybe.
                  Last edited by Guest; 10-15-2010, 12:09 PM.

Comment

Working...
                  X