Carb cleaning

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Carb cleaning

Did a quick search but nothing. Besides vapour, water, sonic and or soda blasting what other methods are there to clean a fully disassembled carb set. Been reading about baking soda and vinigar mix to soak it in. Not sure about discolouring the alloy. Gunna try it today on old carbs to suss it out. Any one have good ideas? And dont say bead/sand blasting. Thats just dumb on carbs. Thanks

This could be the single most covered topic on here... We like to dip the carbs for 24 hours in carb cleaner. A favourite brand is Berrymans.

Any acid will discolor the metal.

Comment

Pine Sol original flavor....

Comment

Originally posted by Adler View Post
        This could be the single most covered topic on here... We like to dip the carbs for 24 hours in carb cleaner. A favourite brand is Berrymans.

Any acid will discolor the metal.
        Hey ADLER we live in Australia not Canada or the US. We don't have your products here.

Comment

Originally posted by sharpy View Post
          Did a quick search but nothing. Besides vapour, water, sonic and or soda blasting what other methods are there to clean a fully disassembled carb set. Been reading about baking soda and vinigar mix to soak it in. Not sure about discolouring the alloy. Gunna try it today on old carbs to suss it out. Any one have good ideas? And dont say bead/sand blasting. Thats just dumb on carbs. Thanks
          Sharpy, I have had great success with Yamaha Carb Cleaner available at (you guessed it) your local Yamaha dealer. Don't follow the instructions on the pack though, not toxic enough that way. I dilute the solution about 50/50 and heat it in a can over my porta gas flame so the fluid is just g3ently rolling over on the surface (not boiling furiously) and I put my bits in for 15 to 20 minutes and they come out cklean as a whistle. That includes the CV carb bodies with plastic throttle shaft bushes.

Comment

Originally posted by Suzuki_Don View Post
            Hey ADLER we live in Australia not Canada or the US. We don't have your products here.
            On that note, where did you buy Berrymans in Ontario Canada? Don't believe I've seen it at Canadian Tire/NAPA, etc.
            '82 GS1100E

Originally posted by themess
            Only in your own mind did you refute what I wrote.

Comment

Originally posted by User View Post
              Pine Sol original flavor....
              I don't recommend this, I dipped an old Briggs and stratton carb for 24 hours as a test. Anything steel had rusted and there was a powdery corrosion on the aluminum (like I had dipped em in purple power or simple green)

Stick to Berrymans Works great

Comment

Originally posted by Mysuzyq View Post
                On that note, where did you buy Berrymans in Ontario Canada? Don't believe I've seen it at Canadian Tire/NAPA, etc.
                I didnt... Couldnt find it anywhere I was just saying what people here like. I used some crappy brand that wasnt very good that I found at PartSource.

I've heard great things about PineSol also, They have that in Australia, right?

Comment

I didnt... Couldnt find it anywhere I was just saying what people here like. I used some crappy brand that wasnt very good that I found at PartSource.

I've heard great things about PineSol also, They have that in Australia, right?
                  Try Gunk, its not as good as Berrymans but works. You may need to soak it 25% longer. I soaked each car for 35 hours pulling em about halfway through and to check passage cleanliness using a spray carb cleaner.

Comment

I just watched a guy use the Pine Sol soak, then a warm water rinse, then a soda blaster. Some of the cleanest carbs I have ever seen.

Comment

Originally posted by User View Post
                      I just watched a guy use the Pine Sol soak, then a warm water rinse, then a soda blaster. Some of the cleanest carbs I have ever seen.
                      I saw a web page showing a pine sol soak. Looked beautiful, I liked the idea because I would not need to pull the butterfly valves out of the Yamaha carbs to clean em. Test soaked a old lawn mower carb. after 1 day the carb has a white powdery substance on it that never came all the way out. The steel mounting bracket was rusted. Its looks the same as soaking aluminum parts in Simple green.

Decided i would stick to the Berrymans.

Comment

I've done at least a dozen carbs in Simple Green, but NEVER more than 15 minutes. Followed by a water rinse and compressed-air blow dry. Perfect and cheap and nowhere near as toxic and smell-up-the-whole-shop-and-house-for-days bad as Berrymans or Gunk, although for really SEVERE varnish buildup (the kind you have to scratch away with a sharp awl) ya gotta go with the Gunk.

Kirk

Comment

Working...
                        X