No mixture screws??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No mixture screws??

I got hold of a set of carbs off ebay and there seams to be no idle mixture screws, later model maybe, why is this?

Oh, there are mixture screws.

See that little disk with the hole in it? Drill it out carefully, the screws are under it.

That was the effort that was mandated by the EPA to seal the mixture screws so we did not pollute the air any more than necessary. Only problem was the bikes ran worse, took longer to get off "choke" and probably polluted more in the long run.

Remove the disk. Find the best-fitting screwdriver that you have (best if you buy a new one), turn the screw IN carefully, counting the turns as you go. You may find that it is in the range of 1 1/4 to 1 1/2 turns out. Most of us have found that something in the range of 2 to 3 turns works a LOT better.

However, if the disks are still in place, there is a good chance that the carbs are a bit overdue for a good cleaning and o-ring replacement. There are guides on how to refurbish your carbs in the Garage section of this forum and on BassCliff's website.
    sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Working...
    X