• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Carb questions

Hello all
    I did a search and did not find what I needed

1979 GS1000
    I ordered a manual for the bike and don't have it yet so was wondering if someone that knows can help. I got a stage 3 Dynojet kit for the bike and have some questions..... I put the new needles in and it seems there are screws on top of the rocker arm that connect to the cylinders that are adjustable, they were not all set the same when I checked before I removed them. Would anyone who knows or has a manual know what they should be set at?
    I noticed when I turn them in or out they raise and lower the cylinders and needles.
    Second the is 3 outlets one between each carb. not sure what they are, one is blocked of and 2 are not. Should all 3 of these be blocked off?
    The bike was running, but very rich before I took the carbs off to do the kit. The PO set them up and drilled the jets out and set them up. I was not interested in keeping this way. Also what is the setting for the float's
    Any help is well appreciated
    Thanls
    Paul
    Some pictures of the area's I'm talking about.

Those are the adjustment screws to synchronize the carburetors.

The little ports on #2 and #4 are float bowl vents, leave them open or attach a tube open on the other end. They must be open for the carbs to work properly.
    The identical looking port on #3 is the vacuum port which supplies vacuum to the petcock. If you are not using a vacuum petcock, this one needs to be blocked off.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

carbs

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
      Those are the adjustment screws to synchronize the carburetors.

The little ports on #2 and #4 are float bowl vents, leave them open or attach a tube open on the other end. They must be open for the carbs to work properly.
      The identical looking port on #3 is the vacuum port which supplies vacuum to the petcock. If you are not using a vacuum petcock, this one needs to be blocked off.
      Ah....... thank you very much for solving that for me
      pAUL

Comment

To do a "bench" setting on those slides adjust the idle screws so the slides are up a little and you can use a "feeler" gauge like the plastic tube on a WD40/RP7 spray can to adjust the heights all the same by sliding a tube under the opening where the air would pass and adjusting them all the same height. That will do to get the bike up and running. Dont know what carbs they are so cant comment on the float height.

Comment

A soft copy of the manual and extra info can be found on Bike Cliffs site.

Comment

Thanks for all the help, I'll tackle it in the AM
            Paul

Comment

Working...
            X