1979 GS1000 Carb Identification

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
    Those are aftermarket VM29 "smoothbore" carbs. Cleaned up they sell for $600+ on ebay. Nice score.
    yeah, nice find. Dont feel bad mine is a frankenbike also
    combination of 79,82,84 G and GL parts

Comment

29mm smoothbore.Has the others said, if the motor dosent have gofast parts in it you can have a good price for these carbs.
      marc
      AIR COOLED MONSTERS NEVER DIE
      1978 GS1000C X2
      1978 GS1000E X2
      1979 GS1000S
      1979 gs1000
      1983 gs400e

Comment

Sorry, guys. I think they're stock pistons. It was pretty cruddy in there but I could make out a dome shape with a flat side and an arrow. Much like this one:

Comment

I haven't checked compression yet, but I don't have high hopes. Your advice has been awesome so far. My question now is what I should do?

Should I sell the carbs/mismatched pieces and get some stock ones?

Should I buy the front and back end off of the 1989 GSXR 1100 for $500 on CL and make it into a streetfighter? Twin or Monoshock?

Should I just reinstall the carbs, get the right jets and ride as is?

OR

Just part the whole thing and get something that is already ready to ride?

Again, I appreciate all your input.

Comment

Hi,
            if youre handy, keep the bike , sell the carb to take the 1100 gsxr rolling gear and a set of stock carb with pods.If you lucky you will end with some money left.
            my 1000 is modded and it will have a bigbore motor in it next year.
            There are no cure for this.
            My plan was to monoshocked the 1000, but i really like the look of the 5.5 rim with the twin shocks.
            marc
            1978 GS1000C X2
            1978 GS1000E X2
            1979 GS1000S
            1979 gs1000
            1983 gs400e

Comment

Originally posted by kochic View Post
              Hi,
              if youre handy, keep the bike , sell the carb to take the 1100 gsxr rolling gear and a set of stock carb with pods.If you lucky you will end with some money left.
              my 1000 is modded and it will have a bigbore motor in it next year.
              There are no cure for this.
              My plan was to monoshocked the 1000, but i really like the look of the 5.5 rim with the twin shocks.
              marc
              Yes, the Economics grad in me would agree this balances cost efficiency vs project indulgence, however, is the value of these carbs going to go down?

Why not have a little fun, keep the carbs and bigbore the motor? I guess if you bore out the motor, you can never get rid of the carbs.....

Don't get me wrong, a set just sold on eBay a few minutes ago for $832 so these will most likely find themselves on there. I guess I'm just thinking out loud....

Comment

i have RS carbs waiting on a shelf for the bigbore motor.if it was me i would sell the carb on ebay.A new rs set is lower that the 832$ If you go bigbore you will probably go with bigger carbs than the 29, like vm33.
                Marc
                1978 GS1000C X2
                1978 GS1000E X2
                1979 GS1000S
                1979 gs1000
                1983 gs400e

Comment

i would keep the carbs and build a motor to put them on
                  33mm smoothies are too big for a moderate 1000 motor

i have in my 78 1000
                  stage one cams Degreed 106 106
                  head is ported and polished
                  larger intake valves
                  heavy duty valve spring
                  stock pistons (bigbore 1085 in the future)
                  hindle 4 into 1
                  K&N pod filters
                  with the 29mm smoothies it sings beautifully 33's are too big tried em and sold em and put the 29's back on i also had a very good friend who had a built 1085 motor and he had the 33's and went back to the 29's because they were a better fit for the motor
                  33's are for a big bore 1100++ motor
                  at 3500ft i have 27.5 pilots 117.5 mains and my needles are on P2
                  and it is a big bag of fun from 2 to 6 grand and then from 6 to 9 it just screams when you open up the throttle wide
                  i have no problems running at 200+KPH for as long as i want to
                  and the bike is still civil enough to ride in town with no problems at all
                  here is a picture for you

Comment

Spyderman, that bike is SICK.

I checked compression and it was 120 across the board.

I think I may keep the carbs for the time being. If running pod filters and a stock exhaust, what do you think would be a good starting jet size for the VM29s? Again, they're currently 122.5.

I was a bit impulsive a bought the 89 GSXR setup: Complete front end, swingarm, including brakes, tires and wheels.

After doing a little more research I think I may have bit off more than I can chew (or want to spend time on).

You think anyone would be interested in a complete suspension and wheel set for an 1989 GSXR 1100?

Comment

i may be interested in the forks assy.i have usd on my bike and want to go back to rwu.
                      Just pm me.
                      Marc
                      1978 GS1000C X2
                      1978 GS1000E X2
                      1979 GS1000S
                      1979 gs1000
                      1983 gs400e

Comment

Originally posted by jyck View Post
                        Yes, the Economics grad in me would agree this balances cost efficiency vs project indulgence, however, is the value of these carbs going to go down?

Why not have a little fun, keep the carbs and bigbore the motor? I guess if you bore out the motor, you can never get rid of the carbs.....

Don't get me wrong, a set just sold on eBay a few minutes ago for $832 so these will most likely find themselves on there. I guess I'm just thinking out loud....
                        I will for warn you , if you plan on putting them on E-bay members here would probably like you better if you gave them first crack at them. Just saying
                        1984 GS1100GK newest addition to the heard
                        80 GS 1000gt- most favorite ride love this bike
                        1978 GS1000E- Known as "RoadKill" , Finished
                        83 gs750ed- first new purchase
                        85 EX500- vintage track weapon
                        1958Ducati 98 Tourismo
                        “Remember When in doubt use full throttle, It may not improve the situation ,but it will end the suspense ,
                        If it isn't going to make it faster or safer it isn't worth doing

Comment

Working...
                        X