Pipe Color

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pipe Color

Someone post a few days ago about rich versus lean made me want to ask about the color I'm seeing on my right pipe. Besides the post about the left side knocking I asked about, the only other issue I seem to be having is the bike not holding the idle correctly. I will be taking my idle adjustment screw (the main one in the center rear of the carbs) out to check the spring probably tomorrow. However, how do these pipes look?

Middle of the right pipe is gold but the rest of the pipe is fine:

Full right pipe:

Left pipes have left over acid marks from the PO and I will paint the pipes later as possible.

Thanks for looking. I'm definitely learning alot about this bike from you all.
    Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
    1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
    2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
    Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
    and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

My understanding is that when talking about pipe color relative to rich/lean they are talking about the exhaust pipe right at the engine. Has to do with the oxygen content (or lack of) of the exhaust where the pipe is at a higher temperature.

Paint the pipes? Paint? The pipes?

Last edited by Redman; 10-23-2010, 09:06 PM.

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
    GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

Yea, I have some VHT black paint because I don't like the look of that acid etching on the left side.

1981 GS550T - My First

Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die

Comment

The gold color at the middle of the right side pipe isn't caused by heat from inside, it's caused by something spilling on it. Whatever it was also damaged the frame paint.
        And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
        Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

Originally posted by KEITH KRAUSE View Post
          The gold color at the middle of the right side pipe isn't caused by heat from inside, it's caused by something spilling on it. Whatever it was also damaged the frame paint.
          Looks like the brake pedal has been welded/brazed while ON the bike . Flame "overspray" got to the frame paint and the pipe chrome. Just a guess..
          sigpic
          1981 Suzuki GS750E (one owner), 1982 Suzuki GS750T (my "tinker" toy), Previous (First) Bike: 1979 GS425 (long gone)
          2002 Suzuki Bandit 1200S (new to me in 11/2011)

Comment

The pedal did look a little weird but wasn't quite sure. Thanks guys. So basically nothing to worry about and i'll go from there.

1981 GS550T - My First

Comment

Originally posted by 81ZUKI75 View Post
              Looks like the brake pedal has been welded/brazed while ON the bike . Flame "overspray" got to the frame paint and the pipe chrome. Just a guess..
              Yup. Could be that too.
              Oh the things these poor old bikes go through.
              And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
              Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

Cowboy,

I have heat sheilds on my 650 at this point on the pipes. I removed the sheilds to inspect and I had the same gold color hidden. On my bike this is the point where the center pipes connect to the outer. I attributed the dis-color from increased heat due to the convergence and contaiment at the sheild. I suspect the discoloration is one reason the sheilds are there. Just my thoughts on the matter.

cg
                sigpic
                83 GS1100g
                2006 Triumph Sprint ST 1050

Ohhhh!........Torque sweet Temptress.........always whispering.... a murmuring Siren

Comment

Working...
                X