VM carb tuning tool

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

VM carb tuning tool

Has anyone tried one of these 90 degree screw drivers to adjust the lower mixture screws on VM carbs?
    Motion Pro - High quality cables, tools and controls for motorcycles, ATVs, snowmobiles and personal watercraft.

Motion Pro - High quality cables, tools and controls for motorcycles, ATVs, snowmobiles and personal watercraft.

Or, does someone have another tool?

Chris

i have the second screwdriver.
    work good on rs and various carbs.i dosent work well on vm26 because of the fuel bowl.I have a small flat screwdriver bit for my gs1000.
    If you have another bikes or work on friend bike this tool will be useful.
    marc
    AIR COOLED MONSTERS NEVER DIE
    1978 GS1000C X2
    1978 GS1000E X2
    1979 GS1000S
    1979 gs1000
    1983 gs400e

Comment

Originally posted by kochic View Post
      i have the second screwdriver.
      work good on rs and various carbs.i dosent work well on vm26 because of the fuel bowl.I have a small flat screwdriver bit for my gs1000.
      If you have another bikes or work on friend bike this tool will be useful.
      marc
      Can you not change the bit to a longer one on the driver you have? I think the first one takes regular hex screw bits so I could use a longer bit to get past the float bowl?

Chris

Comment

On mine I found the bit too big to fit the VM carb, I would have to hunt mine up but as I remember the bit is part of the tool

Comment

Originally posted by SqDancerLynn1 View Post
          On mine I found the bit too big to fit the VM carb, I would have to hunt mine up but as I remember the bit is part of the tool
          Which one do you have?

Chris

Comment

I have the second one also & have modified it as I needed. Ray.

Comment

this is what I use

Comment

On the second one you cannot change the bit, it look like a speedo or rpm wire thing.The first one is really a better quality tool.Never have any issue with the one i have it was a 30$well spent.
                Marc

Originally posted by resjudicata View Post
                Can you not change the bit to a longer one on the driver you have? I think the first one takes regular hex screw bits so I could use a longer bit to get past the float bowl?

Chris
                AIR COOLED MONSTERS NEVER DIE
                1978 GS1000C X2
                1978 GS1000E X2
                1979 GS1000S
                1979 gs1000
                1983 gs400e

Comment

I just use a real stubby flat blade screwdriver I made.
                  Works ok for me.

Comment

That 1st Motionpro one is a pretty flash tool!

I fashioned one out of a hacksaw blade, but still very tight access on the VM 26 carbs.

The road to hell is paved with good intentions......................................

GS 850GN JE 894 10.5-1 pistons, Barnett Clutch, C-W 4-1, B-B MPD Ignition, Progressive suspension, Sport Demons. Sold
                    GS 850GT JE 1023 11-1 pistons. Sold
                    GS1150ES3 stock, V&H 4-1. Sold
                    GS1100GD, future resto project. Sold

http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s...s/P1000001.jpg
                    http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s...s/P1000581.jpg

Comment

A tiny screwdriver bit stuck into a 1/4 inch socket works well.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

I have a little thumb wheel that takes hex screw driver bits. I've been using it and just bare screw driver bits. My problem is that my hand doesn't fit into the space and still give me enough dexterity to turn the bit. I have a choice of either wedging my hand in the space or turning a bit but I can't seem to do both.

So, my option is to find a tool to make up for having fat hands. It sounds like the second/less expensive tool won't work well for the VMs. So, I guess that only leaves the more expensive tool. I'll have to add that one to the Christmas list for the wife.

Chris

Comment

I'll have their 90 degree bevel screwdriver when I get rich and famous. http://www.carbtune.com/
                          '78 GS1000E, Dyna-S ignition, Dyna Green Coils, K&N pods, Delkevic SS 4-1 exhaust, Dynojet Stage 3 jet kit, Russell SS Brake Lines, Progressive suspension, Compu-Fire series Regulator 55402 and Advmonster cree LED headlight conversion.

Comment

Working...
                          X