Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

1977 GS550 VM22SS help - choke tube cracked???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1977 GS550 VM22SS help - choke tube cracked???

If you've seen the other topics we've posted, you will know that I am rehabitating my girlfriend's 77 GS550 slowly but surely after years of neglect and previous owners' poor mechanic skills... Needing to check out, clean, and re-jet the carbs after an exhaust upgrade now.
    Almost forgot that when her friend "cleaned" the carbs, I noticed that two of the what I thought were the needle jets had cracks running up and down them somehow...

Now I looked at the VM carb rebuild info pdf at the "In The Garage" section on here, and I now, finally, clearly see what I am talking about in a photo diagram. Two of the choke tubes have cracks in them, and the little cap or plug on the ends of them (starter jet) with an orifice in it, well one of those is completely missing. I doubt these parts are replaceable, or are they? Pressed in? Anybody have a clue?

Pardon me while I make the crossover from working on musclecars to learning about motorcycles...

They don't always have a jet in them If there not too bad you could try soldering them

Comment

Those turn up on eBay. Some sellers mis-label them as "needle jets"

Comment

Confused about which parts you are talking about. Can you post pictures?

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

This member has experienced the same problem as me?
          See the link below:

Comment

Yes, that's it! hers are cracked going up and down, not laterally like yours. I thought about some JB weld or something. I have a machinists' drill bit set and could probably solder them back together, solder the end shut, and re-drill and hope the solder holds.

Comment

Agemax, see pic at this link http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=2zzklj6&s=7

Comment

Working...
              X