how do I establish a baseline?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

how do I establish a baseline?

i have read everything on this site and bass cliff page and a whole bunch of other stuff. i bought this 80 GS850GLT with aftermarket no name pipes. how much will this effect my baseline for tuning? i plan on cleaning my carbs this winter and wondering if i will have any problems setting the carbs back up per suzuki spec. with the aftermarket exhaust. or will i be ok? thanks

With the stock air box, probably not much change, maybe a size or two on the main jet, maybe tweak the needle height a tad. The airbox makes a bigger difference than pipes.
    4-1 pipes?

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

You'll just have to take the carbs apart and see if the stock jets and needles are in there

They all have really tiny numbers on them, so you can tell what size they are

Old guys like me prefer the Helping Hands (down the page), but any magnifying glass will do

Once you know what you have, then you can proceed

Your stock specs are in the sticky at the top of the page, or check your service manual. You will need larger than stock jets, or a jet kit, to make the bike run properly with a 4-1. This may have been done already

You can get a service manual from BassCliff
      1978 GS 1000 (since new)
      1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
      1978 GS 1000 (parts)
      1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
      1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
      1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
      2007 DRz 400S
      1999 ATK 490ES
      1994 DR 350SES

Comment

they are not 4-1 they are some slip-on 4-2 with leaks at the slips. there are no clamps to tighten them either weird. im waitin on parts to dissasemble and clean carbs ill let you know what i find

Comment

Just for reference, the stock main jets on an 850 are 115.

Of the three 850s at my house, only one, my #2 son's '81, has an aftermarket pipe on it. (you can see it in my sig, just click on the link) It has a nice, quiet baffle and runs nicely with 120 mains. Depending on how quiet your pipes are (quiet is somewhat related to flow characteristics), you might be in the same area.

sigpic
          mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
          hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
          #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
          #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
          Family Portrait
          Siblings and Spouses
          Mom's first ride
          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
          (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by yotaman423 View Post
            they are not 4-1 they are some slip-on 4-2 with leaks at the slips. there are no clamps to tighten them either weird. im waitin on parts to dissasemble and clean carbs ill let you know what i find
            No way of knowing, they could flow more or less than stock exhausts, or maybe even the same.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

thanks for the input i think there are no baffels just straight pipes

Comment

so im in the process of cleaning my carbs. so far all jets pilot and mains and evertthing else is all stock. so my question is this- with the stock airbox and filter and aftermarket free flowing exhaust do i need to run bigger jets to compensate for the exhaust. i will say the bike seemed to run good before. i rode a 900 mile trip with no problems. any help would be appreciated thanks

Comment

... with the stock airbox and filter and aftermarket free flowing exhaust do i need to run bigger jets to compensate for the exhaust.
                  Reading your spark plugs will be the ultimate determination, but generally speaking, yes, you need to run bigger jets.

I have 120s in my son's bike with a Jardine header (quiet baffle) and it does well. With your "free flowing" exhaust, you might need bigger ones.

Again, only your spark plugs will know for sure.

sigpic
                  mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                  hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                  #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                  #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                  Family Portrait
                  Siblings and Spouses
                  Mom's first ride
                  Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                  (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

ok so where do i order the bigger main jets? i found the jets do i order 117.5 or120 or both
                    Last edited by Guest; 11-08-2010, 01:05 PM.

Comment

I'd order 122.5s and 125s
                      Try Denniskirk.com
                      1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
                      1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

are the 122.5 and 125 a smaller step up than i think?

Comment

are the 122.5 and 125 a smaller step up than i think?
                          I'm not a mind reader
                          1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
                          1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Touche lol

Comment

Working...
                            X