not a typical carb question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

not a typical carb question

I am re-assembling my carbs, going by the VM rebuild guide on bikecliff's site, and I notice that my slide assembly doesn't have the spring, nylon washers, or the big round washer with the 3 holes pictured in the photo. Sooo I score a set of VM's on ebay to just use them as parts to make sure I have all the right components. I got them tonight, took them apart and they are different. However the listing said "carbs from a 78' GS 750" (the same ones I have)......
    I look at the main needle, it reads 5DL36.... the needles that are supposed to come on the GS1000's. The 750's have 5F21's, this makes me confused, I received the wrong carbs.... Plus one of the main reasons I bought another set of carbs was for the springs and washers I didn't have (which I assume Im supposed to have) I guess I'm wrong. I took the spring and washers from the carbs I just bought and put it in my original carbs.....dont' look like its supposed to go there. F#$@!!! My original slide assembly doesnt have a cavity where the spring slips in and then the needle. Its nearly flat. The ones I just got in the mail have cavities (inside of the slide cylinder) where the springs and washers go.
    So I just wasted time, and money. I want to make sure all my problems are fixed by cleaning and having the right parts. I want to know if I have all the right parts! Does anyone know what components come with which carbs? both slides from the different carbs read "1.5" underneath , however whether they share the springs and washers im not so sure about. hell, these carbs might have been from a 1000cc GS, therefore changing everything. Anyone with in-depth knowledge on carburetor components like this?

..below is a picture of what I originally have for my slide assemblys
    aka-no spring, nylon washers, or the big round washer....

The 5FDL36 was used on 79 850 and 1000. The 5F21 was used on 77 to 79 750. Not all the 78 GS750 had the big washer or nylons. If I'm reading the fich right GS750B and GS750C before #41492, GS750EC before #19995 didn't have the same parts in the slide for thr needle. That could be your problem, they never had the same washers and spring as the guide used.

Comment

Originally posted by Graham View Post
      The 5FDL36 was used on 79 850 and 1000. The 5F21 was used on 77 to 79 750. Not all the 78 GS750 had the big washer or nylons. If I'm reading the fich right GS750B and GS750C before #41492, GS750EC before #19995 didn't have the same parts in the slide for thr needle. That could be your problem, they never had the same washers and spring as the guide used.
      where could I find this info? I looked at bike bandit's schematics and it showed the washers and spring on the 1978C

Comment

OHHH son of a snot face!!! I just looked at Alpha Sports schematics for a 1977 GS750B and It didn't show the washers or springs! just the c-clip!
        So, my bike was an early 78' perhaps with 77' "B" style carbs?
        who knows.

*edit*

Okay. I should have looked at more than one schematic, there is another indication that even the 78' "C" model didn't have these parts as well.
        I guess this is apart of learning. sighhhh thank you for taking my non-coherent brain out of the box
        Last edited by Guest; 11-16-2010, 02:32 AM.

Comment

What is the production date on your bike?

The '77s did not have the springs, and, like you have guessed, they might have used up the last of them during the first month or so of '78 production.

sigpic
          mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
          hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
          #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
          #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
          Family Portrait
          Siblings and Spouses
          Mom's first ride
          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
          (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by goggleboy View Post
            where could I find this info? I looked at bike bandit's schematics and it showed the washers and spring on the 1978C
            try here for the fich

Comment

Working...
            X