Shimming the needles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shimming the needles

I recently FINALLY got all my last parts in the mail, K&N Pods to replace my ERGOs and #135 main jets. I can't figure out how to shim the needles with the washers from radioshack or where they will go. I looked inside the diaphram and it looks like theirs a small C clip?

Pictures if anyone has any would be a great help.

Did you try to search out the answer? This topic is well documented in the archives.

Hint: remove plastic spacer on top of clip and replace with shorter stack of washers.
    Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
      Did you try to search out the answer? This topic is well documented in the archives.

Hint: remove plastic spacer on top of clip and replace with shorter stack of washers.
      I did but thats the problem I'm having is removing it and how to stack the washers being able to use the same clip?

Comment

Repeating what is certainly in the archives:

Remove the needle from the slide, noting the order of the parts removed.
        - remove the large c-clip and remove the long plastic plug-thingy from the middle of the slide
        - gently push the needle up from the bottom. You should see a thick nylon spacer at the top of the needle, riding on the top of the circlip on the needle
        - under that circlip should be a thin metal washer and a spring
        - use your smallest Radio Shack washers to approximate the thickness of that nylon spacer, count the washers in the stack
        - cut that amount in half, use them INSTEAD OF THE NYLON SPACER
        - reassemble the slide, install in carb
        - vacuum sync the carbs

sigpic
        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
          Repeating what is certainly in the archives:

Remove the needle from the slide, noting the order of the parts removed.
          - remove the large c-clip and remove the long plastic plug-thingy from the middle of the slide
          - gently push the needle up from the bottom. You should see a thick nylon spacer at the top of the needle, riding on the top of the circlip on the needle
          - under that circlip should be a thin metal washer and a spring
          - use your smallest Radio Shack washers to approximate the thickness of that nylon spacer, count the washers in the stack
          - cut that amount in half, use them INSTEAD OF THE NYLON SPACER
          - reassemble the slide, install in carb
          - vacuum sync the carbs

That is what I had the problem with. You need a really long skinny pair of needle nose pliers to get the c-clip out. You will probably have to buy or borrow the correct tool. Once it is out, it is a piece of cake.
          I also went to my local Ace Hardware Store and picked up some 3mm washers, which are a perfect fit because they are metric, as is the needle. About the same price, and I don't have a bag of tiny SAE washers laying around that I will never find a use for.

Comment

Hi,

No pictures, but here's a little more info:

Shimming The Needle

You'll be working in this area:

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

kool aid, thanks for that tip!
              I will have to go shopping today.

Daniel

Comment

Well I'm trying to figure out just how lean its going to run, I thought the 700s ran lean from the factory in the first place? I cant see raising the needle too much with 135s but I guess I'll have a trial and error..

Comment

Sears has a set of needlenose that work pretty well and the paint & hardware location stocks them by me. They might even be open at 5 AM Friday for your shopping pleasure.

82 GS850L - The Original http://s224.photobucket.com/albums/d...ePics067-1.jpg
                  81 GS1000L - Brown County Hooligan http://s224.photobucket.com/albums/d...ivePics071.jpg
                  83 GS1100L - Super Slab Machine http://s224.photobucket.com/albums/d...t=DCP_1887.jpg
                  06 KLR650 - "The Clown Bike" http://s224.photobucket.com/albums/d...nt=SERally.jpg
                  AKA "Mr Awesome"

Comment

I got it all done, damn thing still refuses to start. Taking it to the shop Saturday now that its all assembled.

Comment

Thanks to Mr. Koolaid Kid...
                      I went shopping! Really.
                      So, anyone that needs some 3 mm flat washers, just send me a PM
                      and for the cost of a stamp and envelope (.50), can get 12 of them from me.

Daniel

Comment

Not to hijack, but I am wondering why you would "replace" the nylon spacer with a comprable "stack" of 3mm washers. Typically it's understood the midrange needs to be richened with the addition of a pipe and or pod filters. Why not just add the necessary number of shims under the nylon spacer ? I guess if one wanted the ability to further lean the OEM stock needle then I could see the point..

Comment

Originally posted by Road_Clam View Post
                          Not to hijack, but I am wondering why you would "replace" the nylon spacer with a comprable "stack" of 3mm washers. Typically it's understood the midrange needs to be richened with the addition of a pipe and or pod filters. Why not just add the necessary number of shims under the nylon spacer ? I guess if one wanted the ability to further lean the OEM stock needle then I could see the point..
                          That's because the needle is pushed UP by the spring below the circlip. The nylon spacer determines the position. By adding shims under the nylon spacer, you will actually be pushing the needle DOWN, due to the additional thickness. The idea is to RAISE the needle, so you need less thickness. The stack of thinner washers allows you the flexibility of being able to adjust how far it is raised. If you leave the nylon spacer in place and simply add the washers below the clip, all you will do is add preload to the spring.

sigpic
                          mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                          hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                          #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                          #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                          Family Portrait
                          Siblings and Spouses
                          Mom's first ride
                          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                          (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Ranger View Post
                            Well I'm trying to figure out just how lean its going to run, I thought the 700s ran lean from the factory in the first place? I cant see raising the needle too much with 135s but I guess I'll have a trial and error..
                            Are you richening the jet needle to allow for pods only? Stock exhaust?
                            I'm guessing approx' .050 to .075" range (higher positioned needle)? 700 guys correct me if I'm wrong.
                            And remember that the jet needle and main jet supply fuel at different throttle positions. So don't think of them as a unit as your sentence suggests.
                            And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
                            Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

Working...
                            X