Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Carb Cleaning question

Hey guys,

Searched on the forum but couldnt find anything specific to my question. I order a few parts carbs and started cleaning them up but when i opened the bowls, there was a white powdery sort of sandy substance stuck to the inside of the carb. i scraped alot of it off and dropped it in berrymans carb dip for 2 days (these are 78 GS750 carbs compatible for my 79 GS750 carb set). the substance was still there. I put it into a high concentration of simple green for a short amount of time, this helped a little and it seemed like things were looking up. then i dipped in carb cleaner for another day and a half and when i took it out there was still some there. I decided to boil it and it seemed like ALL the white substance came back. I would like to post a picture but do not currently have one with me. Does anyone have any idea what this is or how to get rid of it?

sounds like some form of oxidisation. im surprised all the dipping didnt get rid of it, but as it all came back when you boiled them in water (i presume) then this theory sounds likely
    1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

Any chance of finding a way to remove it? would like to get these rebuilt by the end of the week!

Comment

polish it out by hand, or a dremmel using autosol or some other abrasive polish. wash out well with petrol should do the trick
        1978 GS1085.

Comment

you think? I know that i have had other carbs have a white powdery layer on it that comes right off after boil (I think from the water). Its not so much like that. Its more solid. Like if i scrape it with a knife it will come off in little pellots. they are still soaking right now though. Ill check them and put a pic up so you can see em. Maybe they will be all shiny and nice when i open them up!!

Comment

what are you soaking them in now? try soaking them in petrol or acetone. it should loosen the gunk
            1978 GS1085.

Comment

i have them in berrymans carb dip. but its not really gunk. its like a grainy sand like substance that is stuck to the inside of the float chamber on the carb body. When i opened the bowls something that looked like wood chips or sand fell out. and the same thing was on the inside. i scratched some off but im worried about it clogging the jets. Ill pull em out right now and take a pic so you can see!

Comment

Heres a pic. you can see the grainyness of the powder. This is right after i pulled it out of the dip. its not dry yet and the powder shows up better when its dry. what do you guys think?

Comment

it looks like bad oxidisation. were the carbs in use or stored up for a while. no amount of dipping will get that clean
                  1978 GS1085.

Comment

i suppose they were stored for a while. i just received them. any way to remove it? CLR or something like that?

Comment

Originally posted by craywm View Post
                      Heres a pic. you can see the grainyness of the powder. This is right after i pulled it out of the dip. its not dry yet and the powder shows up better when its dry. what do you guys think?
                      ohhhhh, that don't look good. Try soda blasting or a dremel with a very soft wire wheel.
                      Rob
                      1983 1100ES, 98' ST1100, 02' DR-Z400E and a few other 'bits and pieces'
                      Are you on the GSR Google Earth Map yet? http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170533

Comment

i suppose they were stored for a while. i just received them. any way to remove it? CLR or something like that?
                        demand a refund. thats probably the reason why the person sold them in the first place
                        1978 GS1085.

Comment

Crap. heres another pic of the damage

Comment

there are a few ways to clean it up. not sure if i will try them though. i know once i get it clean and fill it with gas the problem wont come back.. until i have to take them off and drain the float chambers.. mine as well keep them inside in gas for the winter.

Comment

there are a few ways to clean it up. not sure if i will try them though. i know once i get it clean and fill it with gas the problem wont come back.. until i have to take them off and drain the float chambers.. mine as well keep them inside in gas for the winter.
                              You mean you're going to use them as is?
                              Rob
                              1983 1100ES, 98' ST1100, 02' DR-Z400E and a few other 'bits and pieces'
                              Are you on the GSR Google Earth Map yet? http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170533

Comment

Working...
                              X