Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Best way to remove tank & Carbs and dump the gas?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Best way to remove tank & Carbs and dump the gas?

I'm preparing for the big winter wrenching project anf finally got the bike into it's resting spot. While I could/should have possibly removed the tank and carbs on my driveway I was a bit worried about pushing my 500lb bike (GS1100EZ) in to its winter shed home.

Anyhow, what's the best way to remove the tank and carbs without getting gas everywhere? Do I switch the petcock to off anf unmount the tank, then drain the gas outside? Do I turn petcock off and undo the line and try to drin into a gas can while the tank is still on the bike? Do I leave the gas inside the carb and bowls until I take that outside and dump?

Any insight for making this job less messy would be greatly appr.

Thanks.

With a working vacuum petcock, you can set it to ON or RESERVE and pull the fuel line. The gas will stay in the tank, just use a cup to catch the drips from the line.

To empty the tank after removal, just hook a tube to the petcock and run it to a gas can. Then set petcock to PRI and let it drain.

You could also turn the petcock to ON/RES, pull the fuel line (drips into a cup), and then run the line into a gas can on the ground. Flip to PRI and drain the tank while it's on the bike.

Even a full tank will only weigh about 30 lbs., so it's not hard to pull on and off while full.

HTH

Comment

Originally posted by MisterCinders View Post
      Even a full tank will only weigh about 30 lbs., so it's not hard to pull on and off while full.
      That depends a LOT on the bike you have.

Some of us have bikes with 5.8 gallon tanks. At about 6.25 pounds per gallon, that's 36 pounds PLUS the weight of the tank.
      I have never weighed an empty tank, but I'm sure it's not much below 10 pounds. Total could be close to 45 pounds.

It's not the 45 pounds or so that is the problem, though, it's the overall size and the awkward lifting angle.

Smaller bikes, like the 650L and below, only have about 3.5 gallon tanks. Total weights there might be closer to 30 pounds.

Anyhow, MisterCinders does have the correct way to drain the tank.
      Expect some drops to fly when you pull the hose off the petcock. The carbs should be OK as long as you don't tip them too far when you remove them. When they are off, simply hold them over a suitable container and remove the drain plug to empty the bowls.

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

I'd remove the tank and drain into a can, as recommended by MisterCinders. It won't release any fuel until you turn it to "prime."

If you can loosen the carb bowl drain screws, you can drain the carbs before removing them, and you'll avoid spillage while trying to wiggle them out.

Comment

Originally posted by ChicagoBob View Post
          If you can loosen the carb bowl drain screws, you can drain the carbs before removing them, and you'll avoid spillage while trying to wiggle them out.
          Thanks.

I wasn't sure which was worse, trying to keep the carbs level or trying to get something in beneath the drain plugs to catch the fuel.

:-)

Comment

put a piece of vaccuum tubing on the fuel side of the petcock and run it into a gas can..set the petcock to prime and drain down the tank that way. on the carbs, just pull them off and then turn them upside down over a big pail and all the gas will run out the vent tubes.
            MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
            1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Drain the gas tank in the driveway as above

Start the bike, drive into shed, let it run until it runs out of gas

There will be a bit of residual gas in the float bowls
              1978 GS 1000 (since new)
              1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
              1978 GS 1000 (parts)
              1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
              1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
              1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
              2007 DRz 400S
              1999 ATK 490ES
              1994 DR 350SES

Comment

If it's a vacuum tank, as long as it's not on prime the only place the gas will spill out of is the lid. Some will come out of the fuel line when you pull it, but not to much. It'll take a long time to drain though.

I've never had a problem pulling my carbs with gas in them, I've never spilt a drop. And I've pulled them off more times then I would like. As long as you at least try to keep them level you shouldn't spill any. Then just pull the drain plugs and drain it into a bucket.

Comment

I cut a 15 or so inch long piece of wax paper/aluminum foil, fold it in half, and tuck it under the carbs in a "v" shape. Put the bike on the side stand with a container under the end of the paper/aluminum by the stand. Pull the screws and the gas will drain onto the paper and run into your container. I've done it over a dozen times....works like a charm!

Comment

Working...
                  X