No announcement yet.

78 1000 C pilots

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Chuck, Don't forget your bike has an aftermarket exhaust system on it (4 into 1 ). the pilot settings are going to be greater than standard because of it.

what is the tooth count on the front and rear sprockets? someone may have changed them along the way and that would account for your loss of top end speed.
    De-stinking Penelope http://thegsresources.com/_forum/sho...d.php?t=179245

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...35#post1625535

Comment

I hadnt thought to count the teeth And remember that per our phone chat today, I got that stock exhaust coming..so that will change everything yet again!! probably best to get that on, figure out this wiring issue with the starter button, check the size of the mains currnely in there( which i can do this week and report back ) THEN see whats up..Oh and yes i know it needs the valves done as well.Lots of issues going on that i just need to get sorted out i guess!! Maybe i should just put the whole thing on the trailer and bring it down to your place instead of you coming here..that way i can bring my spare shims and see if anything i wont need will swap to some of the ones that you need for the 850!!
      Last edited by chuck hahn; 12-29-2010, 01:08 PM.
      MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
      1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Originally posted by chuck hahn View Post
        Maybe i should just put the whole thing on the trailer and bring it down to your place instead of you coming here..that way i can bring my spare shims and see if anything i wont need will swap to some of the ones that you need for the 850!!
        That sounds good. I have a shim tool and a cam cover gasket you can use until it gets replaced. the only problem I see, you will have two bikes to trailer home after we pick up the Cooley.

what say yea?
        De-stinking Penelope http://thegsresources.com/_forum/sho...d.php?t=179245

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...35#post1625535

Comment

Thats the least of the problems..how big of a moving truck will i need to get 5 bikes and all my house hold furnishings to TEXAS!! Guess i could bring down the 1000 C and then shuttle it back home . THEN turn around and combine your Indiana run with my picking up the Cooley. I mean we dont need to go to Indiana and Kentucky the same week we work on the C either!!
          1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Get the stock exhaust back on, set the screws as mentioned ( mine are fuel 3/4 and air 1 1/2 - 1 3/4) The bike runs pretty strong and with a GPS will pull close to but not quite 130 mph (200+ kph) on a good day. Tach and speedo are a little wonky as normal but looks pretty close to redline. Only non stock items are Dyna ignition and K&N replacement filter and I weight in at about 210. I also run with supersport bars.
            '84 GS750EF (Oct 2015 BOM) '79 GS1000N (June 2007 BOM) My Flickr site http://www.flickr.com/photos/soates50/

Comment

Sandy..I will pull the crabs abd reset them to what you said. After all the discussion i figured that the 1 1/2 out on the fuel was wrong from whoever had played with them before i got the bike. Will set the air at 1 1/2 fpr starters as well. Then tweek things from there.

Comment

OK heres what I have found..Pulled the carbs AGAIN and there are 105 mains installed. The bike has the 4 into 1 V&H exhaust that are very nasty looking.. but i am going back to stock next week or so when the set I bought arrives. Should I go back to the stock 95s or leave the 105s in and adjust the air screws from there? These are VM 26s, by the way. The pilots on the bottom are reset to 1 turn out from bottom and the air screws are reset to 2 turns out from bottom...per the suggestions recieved here so far.
                Last edited by chuck hahn; 12-31-2010, 01:48 PM.

Comment

chuck go back to the stock 95 main jets set your needles on P3 with 15 pilot jets and the fuel mixture screws should be set at about 3/4 of a turn out but you will need to tweak each one after a few plug chops and the air screws should be at about 1.5 to start and adjusted with the highest RPM method
                  hope that helps you

Comment

It is very easy to break the tips off those fuels screws, and both you and the PO have messed with them. Usually, anything over 1 turn out on those screws will blacken and foul plugs very quickly, and yet you say it runs well at idle and above. I would pull those screws all the way out and check their condition.

Also, do you know there is a top-end limit screw on the top of the carbs? It may be keeping your slides from opening all the way.

105s may be about right with the stock airbox and a header, but may be lean enough to knock a few mph from top end.

A fuel filter/ fuel flow problem would also be most noticeable on top end.

Are you doing top speed runs in Michigan in January?
                    Last edited by Guest; 01-06-2011, 11:27 PM.

Comment

Don LO aint my first rodeo..the jets are fine. I am trying to get them set correctly because thats just the whole point..The PO had them rejetted for the 4 into 1s obviously. I am gonna go back to stock exhaust. I know all about the jets and what they are supposed to look like. I also know to be very gentle when bottoming them out. The thing that i am not sure on is what is a good BASE to start with to fine tune them.. Like i said before, the pilots were at 1 1/2 out when i got the bike and the air screws were at 2 out. I am not familiar with the base settings and hadnt found any published data because everything i had read says preset..do not adjust. Well if the PO was in there then that at least tells me they probably arent gonna be correct for stock exhaust..follow me?? And there isnt anything holding the slides from full open..checked all that too. And just another note, if the clamp on the intake boot is in the wrong position the throttle assembly will hit that and prevent them from opening fully too..i know all about the curb idle screw etc etc etc.. the petcock is fine and there arent any fuel flow issues and there isnt an inline filter either. and as for top end runs..i was doing this in august and september just to see how fast it would really go and was sadly dissapointed that both my 750s can whoop its butt.
                      Last edited by chuck hahn; 01-07-2011, 02:32 PM.

Comment

This has to be one of the longer posts on "what settings are stock", must be because of how well liked you are Chuck. Sounds like you're all set for that stock exhaust when it arrives. Make sure you post some pics when she's all back up and running with a new look.
                        Rob
                        1983 1100ES, 98' ST1100, 02' DR-Z400E and a few other 'bits and pieces'
                        Are you on the GSR Google Earth Map yet? http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170533

Comment

Well Sandy told me where his stock settings were so right now they are set up that way..pilots 1 out and air screws 2 out. The stockers should be here this week and then the next weekend i get a chance i will trailer her to Rustybroncos, do the valve adjustments, fire her up and re sync the crabs and see whats what from that point.. like Don lo siad i will probably leave the 105s in and just adjust accordingly. He mentioned the tips on the jets, but i took them out and every one is in great shape. I think it was never reall properly maintaned in the first place as far as valves and syncing went. The guy didnt seem like the sharpest tool in the shed..it was pretty easy to slicker him into trading that Honda for it. The plugs that i ran all summer are still in the bike and i plan on new ones, so that will be a telling sign as well when we pull them out.

Comment

AZR..I dont know just how well i am liked around here!! LOL I can be a bit OPINIONATED and get under peoples skin sometimes!!!
                            EDIT POST SCRIPT..Just remembered what the fortune cookie said yesterday at the chinese place.." you are never selfish with giving your advise or help" TOO FUNNY!!!
                            Last edited by chuck hahn; 01-07-2011, 02:59 PM.

Comment

Back in '79, when my Skunk reached the 1,000 mile mark on the odometer I decided to top it out. I took it out just before dusk in Alaska near Anchorage where there was only one road long enough, straight enough and flat enough to do that. There was a small hill off in the distance where I could see any approaching traffic coming (headlights) so I would know the road was clear.
                              I redlined each of the gears starting from a complete stop. I got an "indicated" speed just over 140mph, and I held it for a mile or so. GS1000
                              speedometers though are optimistic, so I know I wasn't going that fast.
                              That was the first and only time I did that, the bike gets very light going that fast.

Bike Z (Motorcycle Encyclopedia) says the top speed is 136.1mph

The 1978 Suzuki GS 1000 and all other motorcycles made 1894-2024. Specifications. Pictures. Rating. Discussions.
                              sigpic
                              Steve
                              "The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page."

Comment

Working...
                              X