Exhaust question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Exhaust question

Hi all, I have recently bought a project gs550e.

Was wondering if there is a combination of headers and pipes that will give me pipes on either side as opposed to the single pipe on one side. The bike is a 79 model.

Thanks in advance

Staps

Hi Mr. Staps,

You'll find links to new exhaust vendors in your "mega-welcome". Otherwise you can post in the "Parts Wanted" section, check the "Parts for Sale" section, and keep an eye on Ebay for a used stock exhaust for your bike. Now let me share some more GS lovin'.

I just stopped by to welcome you to the forum in my own, special way.

If there's anything you'd like to know about the Suzuki GS model bikes, and most others actually, you've come to the right place. There's a lot of knowledge and experience here in the community. Come on in and let me say "HOoooowwwDY!"....

Here is your very own magical, mystical, mythical, mind-expanding "mega-welcome". Please take notice of the "Top 10 Common Issues", the Carb Rebuild Series, and the Stator Papers. Now let me roll out the welcome mat for you...

Please click here for your mega-welcome, chock full of tips, suggestions, links to vendors, and other information. Then feel free to visit my little BikeCliff website where I've been collecting the wisdom of this generous community. Don't forget, we like pictures! Not you, your bike!

Thanks for joining us. Keep us informed.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

P.S. It really helps us help you if you put your bike year and model in your signature file and enter your geographical location in your UserCP (look in the upper left corner of your screen).

Comment

Ok thanks,............was that a yes or a no ?

Staps

Comment

It was a yes. The stock configuration is 4 into 2.

Comment

Originally posted by Staps View Post

Staps
          That was your official welcome to the site. You'll get more as time goes on. Have any pictures?
          Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
          1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
          2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
          Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
          and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Originally posted by Staps View Post

Staps
            Hi,

That means click the links, do some reading and research, and find the exhaust you want.

With these old bikes you have to do some hunting sometimes. Welcome to classic GS.

BassCliff
            Last edited by Guest; 01-10-2011, 08:59 PM.

Comment

Sometimes we like to make new guys work.Just say'n

Comment

Cool, I just assumed that there was already a massive wealth of knowledge held in your heads and someone was gonna say "yeah man, an '84 will do that" or something along those lines...........

Thanks for the welcome, I will dig deeper then ...........

Comment

That might be true. However, give a man a fish he'll eat for day; teach a man to fish and he'll eat for a lifetime.
                  Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
                  1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
                  2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
                  Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
                  and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Hi,

I'm pretty sure the GS550 used the same basic 8-valve engine through '82. The stock exhaust from any of those years '77-'82 should fit your bike. Check Ebay or the Parts Wanted or Parts for Sale sections of this forum. If you shop around the links I gave you, perhaps you can find a new aftermarket one if you want. The stock exhaust was a 4 into 2.

After '82 they went to the 16-valve engine and I'm sure the port spacing is different. Those exhausts from the later years will probably not fit without modification.

I think the easiest thing you can do is look for a used stock exhaust. Is your current exhaust too noisy? A stock exhaust is sure to be heavier. Many riders go for the 4-n-1 for the weight savings. Note that exhaust changes usually require carb jetting changes.

BassCliff

Comment

Thanks basscliff, not too worried about weight or noise, the bike came with a 4 into 1, but as the original bike had 4 into 2 then I'll put that back on when I find one, plus I think it looks better. Thanks again. And I will look through all the links and do my research.

Comment

Working...
                      X