What you didn't tell me about carb synch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What you didn't tell me about carb synch

Read the carb-balance.pdf in preparation of my first Morgan Carbtune carb-synch job...
    very clear document, but what you didn't tell me...
    I will omit the cursing part...

I found it very hard to get the carb screws back in the carb intake body...
    it took me 15 minutes of wiggling and dropping the screws and searching and 'back to start' for just one screw (carb body 2 or 3, the inner ones...)

did I miss one trick that solves all mysteries ?

I was lying on my back on the floor to get at least 'access by view' but didn't get my fingers close enough to really start turning the screw. The hexa-tool I had bumped against the starter motor lid (under carb 2), on the other side of the engine (for carb 3) the clutch cable was there...

What tool/trick do you use ?

thanks

Gert

Sorry, guess I'm not understanding. What screws did you remove to do the carb synch, on which bike?

Only the top covers have to come of on non-cv carbs, and nothing has to come off for cv carbs..

Comment

Are you talking about the allen head bolts that go in the intake pipes? The ones you take out to hook up the vacuum lines to the synch tool? If so I am afraid there is no easy way to get 2 and 3 back in that I have found, lots of patience and it helps to let the engine cool first. I burned my knuckles on the head twice the first time I synched my carbs. I did have the same trouble as you with the hex key, my short one was too short to reach and the long one hit on the starter cover. What I did was get a second long hex key and cut it to a good length to get in the space.

Comment

yes, these are the ones that I tried to explain in English (not native, sorry for the difficult explanation)

Comment

I use a piece of rubber vacuum hose 8" or so long. Something that will just slip over the allen head on the bolt and get it started then pull off and tighten with allen wrench..simple, just be careful of the washers. You should try installing a set of headers on a V/8 engine...you have to be an accrobat to do that and I used to have to 'cuss' em' in,.. but I don't cuss anymore so it is really tough now, LOL. Good luck.

Terry
          1980 Suzuki GS550E, 1981 Suzuki GS 1100EX all stock, 1983 Suzuki GS 1100EX modified, 1985 GS1150E, 1998 Honda Valkyrie Tourer, 1971 Kawasaki Mach lll 500 H1, 1973 Kawasaki Mach lV 750 H2.

Comment

A long enough allen wrench helped for me. Still not easy though.
            Current Bikes:
            2001 Yamaha FZ1 (bought same one back)

Comment

I use a long allen head or attachment for socket extension. For the carbtune plastic bits I use the rubber hose trick. As well I ALWAYS put a rag under the area during any of these procedure to catch them when they fall, and they always fall.
              Rob
              1983 1100ES, 98' ST1100, 02' DR-Z400E and a few other 'bits and pieces'
              Are you on the GSR Google Earth Map yet? http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170533

Comment

I tape the suckers to an allen bit in my 1/4" drive with extension and go to town.

Comment

Yes AZR, indeed the suckers do fall.

As a matter of fact I can even add "you do not always find these again after these have fallen"

Comment

Originally posted by headsbikesmopars View Post
                    I use a piece of rubber vacuum hose 8" or so long. Something that will just slip over the allen head on the bolt and get it started then pull off and tighten with allen wrench..simple, just be careful of the washers.

Terry
                    Wow! This is one of those great . Simply brilliant! I will certainly use this trick next time.

Thanks for sharing.

BassCliff

Comment

I put some chewing gum in the socket head so it won't fall off the shorter Allen wrench so easily. I usually have a flashlight in my left hand shining at the bolt hole and look over the #1 intake while reaching under it to the # 2 intake hole.
                      1983 GS 1100 Guided Laser
                      1983 GS 1100 G
                      2000 Suzuki Intruder 1500, "Piggy Sue"
                      2000 GSF 1200 Bandit (totaled in deer strike)
                      1986 Suzuki Cavalcade GV 1400 LX (SOLD)

I find working on my motorcycle mildly therapeutic when I'm not cursing.

Comment

I once took all mynscrewdrivers and allensto a guys shop..he had a magnetiser..made all the tools magnetic..solves a lot of these tyope problems.
                        MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
                        1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Great tricks. Some I've done and learned some new ones. I use the rubber hose on the end of the allen head trick myself.
                          Learned this one years ago while removing stubborn corroded automotive light bulbs from their socket. Just has to have a larger hose.

Is there a specific reason the screws are on the bottom of ALL the boots?
                          Why cant they put the centers on the top?
                          sigpic

82 GS850
                          78 GS1000
                          04 HD Fatboy

...............................____
                          .................________-|___\____
                          ..;.;;.:;:;.,;.|__(O)___|____/_(O)|

Comment

I use a long allen socket & put a little grease in the bolt hole the allen goes into to keep it in place. I also put a little bit of grease on the washer when I put it on the bolt for the reinstall to keep the washer from falling off. Works like a charm & have never dropped one this way! Ray.

Comment

Thanks for the grease on the washer tip.
                              1983 GS 1100 Guided Laser
                              1983 GS 1100 G
                              2000 Suzuki Intruder 1500, "Piggy Sue"
                              2000 GSF 1200 Bandit (totaled in deer strike)
                              1986 Suzuki Cavalcade GV 1400 LX (SOLD)

I find working on my motorcycle mildly therapeutic when I'm not cursing.

Comment

Working...
                              X