pilot air screw

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Black Knight View Post
    It's pretty bad when i come in here to ask a simple question and throw in some back ground info about a friend of mine that is trying to help me out . When he put's in his .02 you all think he's stupid and that just rude plain and simple . It doesn't matter how much you know about a machine or how many yr's you've wrenched on 1 or 50 . Were all here to learn from each other and i have alot to learn myself .

We have decided to take it to his school and let a suzuki tech adjust the issues .

thank's for the help and i won't be asking any more ?'s .

Have a nice day

You still haven't explained what the problem is. How can we help you if you don't explain in clear terms what's wrong and/or what you want?

The only info we have that relates to a problem is you say something about the bike "falling on its face". You aren't trying to run the bike without the airbox are you?

Guessing sucks. If you provide some more info, and a photo or two like Cliff suggests, I'm confident we can help you without the expense of taking the bike to a mechanic.
    Last edited by Nessism; 02-06-2011, 09:25 PM.
    Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Not too sure who is suposed to be being rude and nasty here, the way I see it;

Black Knight asked;
      i'm needing a bit of info of a location on the pilot air screws
      Ed replied;

Black Knight Replied;
      All i'm wanting to do it adjust the air screw where it'll run idle and not fall on it's face . my buddy told me i need to adjust these screws to where the idle just begin's to raise then lower then it's adjusted .
      So this would seem to be the second crux of the matter, and the actual request for info, after the mixture screws were/were not located.
      I think at this point there is confusion around the terminology of the screws (air screws versus mixture screws)

Cliff corrects this and replies;
      EDIT: I see you are actually referring to the "Idle Mixture Screws" (sometimes mistakenly called "air screws") and not the air jets.

Steve catches the pass perfectly and replies;
      Start by turning them in until they seat LIGHTLY, then back out three full 360-degree turns. Start the bike, let it warm up. NOW you can adjust them for proper mixture.

Your buddy's suggestion is close, but rather vague. At three turns out, the mixture is plenty rich to allow starting and probably will not raise any more. Slowly turn each screw in until you detect a slight drop in engine speed. Back that screw out about 1/8 turn, go to the next carb. When you are done, go back and do them again, just to be sure.

You may find that they end up about 2 to 2 1/2 turns out. Record their final settings (each carb may be different) for future reference.
      Seems there is still confusion as to the terminology of said screws, despite being corrected, it would appear the buddy is having none of it and begs to differ, insisting that the mixture screws control air/vacuum

Black Knight replies;
      that vacume adjustment screw is the sync screw ..FYI the buddy has a PHd in engineering and is attending MMI in AZ he just doesn't mess with metric bikes ..I've learned alot from here and from him but you have to be here in person to see the problem ....
      Yes, we are well aware that the vacuum adjustment screw is the sync screw, it would appear the buddy is still looking for the screw that controls the idle via air/vacuum metering, which as we know, and as Cliff has already explained.
      Steve explains it a second time, and I must admit, I can now not see how there can be any confusion

Steve Replied;
      Just so your PhD friend does not trip you up on this, those are NOT "pilot air screws".

You don't have any "pilot air screws" on your bike.

Those are "idle mixture adjustment screws" and contol how much of a mixture is admitted to the cylinder. If you reference the picture that BassCliff posted, you can see that the pilot air jet and the pilot fuel jet produce a mixture that is admitted to the airstream in three places. Two are on either side of the closed throttle plate. The third location is controlled by the adjustment screw. Turning the screw OUT (counterclockwise) will richen the idle mixture, turning it IN (clockwise) will lean it.
      Then it seems Black Knight threw a wobbly when after having both his questions clearly and constructivly answered, and Ed, Steve and Cliff could not figure what further information he wanted, and just asked.

Sorry guys, seems to me the buddy with the PHD and MMI and all that Jazz does not believe that you PO shade tree mechanics know to much about the workings of a metric motorcycle, well not a GS anyway.

Why ask for information then argue with the answers? It is so uneccesary for a bit of miscommunication to leave a bad taste. I hate it.

Comment

Hi,

Ed is absolutely right. These bikes will "fall on their face" if you run stock jetting without the airbox installed. Perhaps if we had more accurate information the underlying issues would be obvious. I encourage you to take the time to utilize the resources here. This is absolutely THE place to learn about these bikes.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

.....if you think YOU had it bad, try reading this thread after a six-pack on an empty stomach.... "I'm freakin' out maaaan!"...

Comment

Originally posted by Mak View Post
            .....if you think YOU had it bad, try reading this thread after a six-pack on an empty stomach.... "I'm freakin' out maaaan!"...
            Actually, I think you'll bring the thread full-circle when you try to get up from your computer and "fall on your face".

Edit: I may be underestimating your tolerance, but speaking for myself, (1 Six pack + Empty stomach)/One thread = faceplant

Comment

??????
              Some people don't want help or this is a huge misunderstanding.
              1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
              1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Hi All....
                I am newbie and I am amazed how informed,knowledgeable and helpful this site is. Thanks to everyone for the time , effort and care that is put in the postings....... Sorry. I needed to put my .02 cents worth in.

George

Comment

Originally posted by Black Knight View Post
                  It's pretty bad when i come in here to ask a simple question and throw in some back ground info about a friend of mine that is trying to help me out . When he put's in his .02 you all think he's stupid and that just rude plain and simple . It doesn't matter how much you know about a machine or how many yr's you've wrenched on 1 or 50 . Were all here to learn from each other and i have alot to learn myself .

We have decided to take it to his school and let a suzuki tech adjust the issues .

thank's for the help and i won't be asking any more ?'s .

Have a nice day
                  That is pretty ironic as it actually sounds like the board needs to learn from your interpretation of what your Phd buddy has to say; Is there a problem here?

Comment

I just love frankenthreads, don't y'all?

Black Knight, I do believe you're taking all of the "questions to your questions" too personally, and the lighthearted jabs are only a response to confusion about what it is you're looking for.

This might go better if you
                    1) learn the common terminology, don't be afraid to use different words than you thought were correct. Even you're referring to the same part, why not just adapt to the language used here and not add to the confusion?
                    2) ask a different question if the response isn't what you're looking for
                    3)down load a free manual that can be found on Bikecliff's site, then either get some tools or give it to your doctoral friend so he can attack this properly.

I'm a total NOOB at this stuff, but I've taken the time the do research, and when I'm stuck I ask questions. Everyone on here is awesome, and will stick it out with you until the issue is resolved, but you gotta work with the process, and PICTURES HELP.

I think we all prefer pictures over reading anyway, am I wrong?

In this thread, GS will stand for Goofy Soap opera.....

Comment

Working...
                    X