Starting issue today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Starting issue today

so tonight it was FREEEEEZING out when i got out of class, i go to start the bike and tried for about 20 minutes.. eventually @ the last second i remembered that centering the bike off the kick stand worked on other applications (my old ninja 250 and this bike it happened once...) and it started right up! why does it only work while straightened up? float bowls too low/high? has anyone else done this trick before?
    Originally posted by tkent02
    That's not a tree, that's a shrubbery. Now get to work on that old dirt bike
    John 3:16

Would you believe that position of the bike does not matter?

No, you simply have to try anything you want for a full 20 minutes.

Whatever you do at the end of that time period is what appears to be the "trick" to starting it.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

or you could just fix the bike.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
        Would you believe that position of the bike does not matter?

No, you simply have to try anything you want for a full 20 minutes.

Whatever you do at the end of that time period is what appears to be the "trick" to starting it.

ha there is definitely some truth to that but its happened quite a few times before lol! i swear there was no hope of the bike starting.. and than i just remembered that it (centering it)worked several times before.. this time it worked again, i noted each time that while on the side (after it started) it would almost die out and when i held it upright the bike started to idle a lot faster, than i layed it back on its sidestand and tried it a few times and the idle changed as described..

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
        or you could just fix the bike.
        the only thing left for me to do is get a dyna S and a brand new set of 3 ohm coils... i am going to check today for my switches which gave me problems before which is probably what u were talking about (my other threads on how the bike was giving me problems).. theres still work to do!! as cowboy says, quit being a b**** and cowboy up! haah
        Originally posted by tkent02
        That's not a tree, that's a shrubbery. Now get to work on that old dirt bike
        John 3:16

Comment

My guess is the spark is weak or choke tubes are clogged.

Could even be you need a valve adjustment.
          1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
          1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Originally posted by chef1366 View Post
            My guess is the spark is weak or choke tubes are clogged.

Could even be you need a valve adjustment.
            Why guess?
            Fix everything before you use it for your basic transportation.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
              Why guess?
              Fix everything before you use it for your basic transportation.
              You're right
              I'm not guessing
              1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
              1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Working...
              X