Not fully starting....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Not fully starting....

Hi all, so i bought my bike, a 78 gs 550e, many months ago, and it wasn't running, but I got it running after going through the carbs and setting the timing gap and it ran perfectly!

I let it sit for a couple months, and didn't put gas stabilizer in it (i know, not smart) so this weekend i went through the carbs, thoroughly, and reset the ignition timing.

Oh the bike has only around 8000 original miles

So when i go to start the bike, i set it on prime for a couple minutes put it back to on, and start it and the bike comes to life for a couple seconds and dies, like its out of gas (and the tank has enough gas). I try and keep it on prime and run the bike and it does the same thing. I tried adjusting the idle screw, but to no avail..

Anyone have any insight or suggestions?

Edit: the petcock has been tested and it is fully functioning.

Thank you so much!
    Last edited by Guest; 02-12-2011, 03:18 PM.

Will it restart after it dies?

How long does it have to sit before you can restart it?

How long does it run when it does run?
    1978 GS 1000 (since new)
    1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
    1978 GS 1000 (parts)
    1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
    1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
    1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
    2007 DRz 400S
    1999 ATK 490ES
    1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Is your enrichener (choke) circuit working?

Comment

Hi,

Make sure the carbs are clean, float height is properly set, vacuum hose and fuel hose are in good repair and connected properly, airbox properly installed, air intake system with no leaks, clean air filter, no rust in gas tank, no inline fuel filter, more suggestions HERE.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Originally posted by BassCliff View Post
          Hi,

Make sure the carbs are clean, float height is properly set, vacuum hose and fuel hose are in good repair and connected properly, airbox properly installed, air intake system with no leaks, clean air filter, no rust in gas tank, no inline fuel filter, more suggestions HERE.

BassCliff
          ok, so inline filters are a 'no-no'?
          and where can we find info on float height?

Comment

Originally posted by JCSkokos View Post
            ok, so inline filters are a 'no-no'?
            Inline filters are unnecessary if you have a clean fuel tank. If you must use an inline filter, make sure it is for a gravity feed system. But even those can be restrictive. Most inline fuel filters are for fuel pump systems and can be restrictive, causing fuel starvation. On a motorcycle, use a fuel filter meant for a lawn mower or other gravity fed engine.

...and where can we find info on float height?
            In your manual. Or have a look at the carb pages on my website.

BassCliff

Comment

Originally posted by DanTheMan View Post
              Is your enrichener (choke) circuit working?
              Yeah, check this- pull two plugs after a start attempt, are they wet?
              1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Hi, thanks for all the responses.

It will restart for a little bit after the first time, without waiting that long at all (maybe 30 seconds or so) but it runs only for a few second.

Choke circuit: one of the carb body's has a broken choke jet, which i thought would be a problem, but when i put them back together a couple months ago before storing the bike, the bike started and worked fine even though that carb's choke jet was broken....

Comment

Originally posted by KitKat View Post
                  So when i go to start the bike, i set it on prime for a couple minutes put it back to on, and start it and the bike comes to life for a couple seconds and dies, like its out of gas (and the tank has enough gas).
                  I've been fooled before thinking I had plenty of fuel in the tank, only to find I was out of gas... There's quite a bit of gas still left in these tanks after the fuel level gets below the petcock inlet. Just something to check...
                  '85 GS550L - SOLD
                  '85 GS550E - SOLD
                  '82 GS650GL - SOLD
                  '81 GS750L - SOLD
                  '82 GS850GL - trusty steed
                  '80 GS1100L - son's project bike
                  '82 GS1100G - SOLD
                  '81 GS1100E - Big Red (daily rider)

Comment

I will check that tomorrow. Are there any other things i should check?

And what do you guys think about the whole choke issue thingy...

Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by KitKat View Post
                      I will check that tomorrow. Are there any other things i should check?
                      Thanks!
                      Verify the vacuum hose from the carbs to the petcock is attached
                      '85 GS550L - SOLD
                      '85 GS550E - SOLD
                      '82 GS650GL - SOLD
                      '81 GS750L - SOLD
                      '82 GS850GL - trusty steed
                      '80 GS1100L - son's project bike
                      '82 GS1100G - SOLD
                      '81 GS1100E - Big Red (daily rider)

Comment

I would think a broken choke jet would be a problem. But, if it's only on one carb, it should still keep running with the other three. These bike can run on 2 cylinders, albeit with a lot less power.
                        Current Bikes:
                        2001 Yamaha FZ1 (bought same one back)

Comment

Hey guys, sorry it took me a while to get back, but i "started the bike" after priming it (it was only able to run for 2 seconds or so, checked the plugs and they were not that wet. They were actually kind of black, covered with soot, so i cleaned them using some fine grit sand paper, put em back in, tried again, and still they arn't that wet

what does that indicate?

Comment

it doesn't run for very long at all, only 1 or 2 seconds, which may not be enough to get the plugs wet? im struggling to find out what the issue is

Comment

any1 have any ideas???

Comment

Working...
                              X