pilot jets

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

pilot jets

I don't know what size pilots are in my bike, no numbers on them. the PO installed 4-1 exhaust and i've heard the outer carbs, 1 and 4, normally run leaner than 2 and 3. would it make since to simply go up one size on #'s 2 and 3 and two sizes on #'s 1 and 4?

i rebuilt the carbs per all forum guidelines and the chops and performance are great in second gear and up. but i have to choke fully to crank, even in 80 deg and above

Hi,

Find the stock carb specs in your manual or click below:

Carb Specs:
    Float Height/Jetting/Tuning

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Using the "choke" to start the bike is NORMAL. Some have adjusted their jetting to where the need for "choke" has been minimized or eliminated, but one way or another, the engine requires a richer mixture when cold. Yes, 80 degrees is "cold" to an engine.

I have no idea why the outer cylinders would run leaner. I am under the impression that the jetting is different to control the combustion temperature. And, it's usually the MAIN jets that are changed, not the pilot jets.

One more item, if you don't know what's in your carbs now, how are you going to order some that are one and two sizes larger? Larger than what?

You say you have a 4-into-1 pipe on there. Any idea what MAIN jets you have?

Do you have the stock airbox or pod filters? That will also affect your jetting requirements.

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Working...
      X