Black Permatex in Carb Diaphragm

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Black Permatex in Carb Diaphragm

Hi - I have been gone for a while. I was pretty fed up with my '81 GS 850 and put it away for a while, but I decided to try and get it running again. The electronic connectons were melted, so I rewired a few of them as well as other things too numerous to mention.

Anyway, I have the carbs off and am starting to follow the excellent carb cleaning guide. When I took the CV cap off of the first carb, I found black permatex (silicone sealent) in the cap and around the diaphragm. Am I in trouble?

Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks,
    Rich

Hi,

A previous owner may have been trying to repair pinholes or tears in the diaphragm. Or the PO could have just been trying to get the diaphragms to stick to the top of the carb body during reassembly. Clean them up good and inspect carefully.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Peel back the permatex and hope you don't see this:

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

OK, then. nuts. I'll look more closely. Thanks for the pics. One more thing, if I can't unscrew the air adjustment screw (covered by the little aluminum cap), do I need to get another carb body? The PO messed up the threads (I think) and I can't back out the screw. I have backed out the screw on another carb body with broken lugs for the float. (It was in the box of stuff I got with the bike). Thanks.

Comment

You have a Dremel tool with a large cut-off wheel? Cut a slot down the tower and into the top of the adjustment screw, then use a good screwdriver to take it out.

Should look a bit like this, carbs 1&2 have both had slots cut:

sigpic
          Family Portrait
          Siblings and Spouses
          Mom's first ride
          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)

Comment

ahhhhh

Doesn't everyone have a Dremel?

Comment

Originally posted by Counter View Post
              ahhhhh

Doesn't everyone have a Dremel?
              Alas, but Dremel makes more than the one tool for which they are most well-known.

If you happen to stop by my house and ask to borrow my Dremel tool, THIS is what I will hand you.

sigpic
              Family Portrait
              Siblings and Spouses
              Mom's first ride

Comment

I don't want to start another thread for a simple question, so I'll just tack it on this one.

Can I swap an '82 GS650 carb body for an '81 850? Both are Mikuni BS32SS's, but according to the carb spec spreadsheet, the 650's have a bypass of .8, .7, and .8 while the 850's have a bypass of 1.0, .8, and .8. What the heck is a bypass anyway? I figure I'll have to switch the jets and needles and whatever else is hanging on the 850 body.

Thanks

Comment

The spacing on the 650 and the 850 cylinders are different so the carbs are too. The one and four carbs do interchange but the inner two do not. Look at the spacing where the carbs lock together and you'll see the 850 has a spacer washer and the 650 does not.
                  1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
                  1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Originally posted by Counter View Post
                    I don't want to start another thread for a simple question, so I'll just tack it on this one.
                    I don't mean to sound like the thread police but since this is a totally unrelated to the original poster and his issue, yes, you should have started your own thread. Hijacking a thread can lead to communication issues and confusion. We'll let it slide this time.

BassCliff

Comment

Uhhh...how can you hi-jack your own thread? LOL

Comment

Originally posted by 1_v8_merc View Post
                        Uhhh...how can you hi-jack your own thread? LOL
                        BIG Oops!

I guess I should have checked to see who the original poster was. I hate when I get in a hurry. Sorry about that Mr. Counter.

BassCliff

Comment

Not a problem. It's nice to know that people are looking out for we who need help...

OK then, if I need a 1 or a 4, then the bodies will swap. cool.

Does anyone know what is meant by the bypass specs on the carbs? I don't want to buy some 650 carbs and have to use different settings because the bypass specs are different?

Comment

I think the "bypass" is only the distance between the carbs.
                            I ride many bikes.
                            Some are even Suzukis.

Comment

The butterflies will have different numbers on them but as long as you sync them you'll be ok. The sync settings will be quite a bit different on the screws themselves but as long as all the butterflies open at the same time you're ok.
                              1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
                              1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Working...
                              X