Slow to drop revs?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Slow to drop revs?

One of my EF's which has been off the road is slowly coming together. I have managed to get it running but notice that when revved it is very slow to drop back down to idle. I rather imagine that this is indicative of something but have no clue as to what it means. Anyone??? No the throtle cable isn't sticking, it snaps back nice and quick.

A vacuum leak would be my first guess. If you're running CV carbs it could also be sticky carb slides and or weak slide springs. In hypo rebuilds with hot cams, the idle speed neccessary to overcome low idle vacuum, can leave the throttle valve open enough to need stronger slide return springs.

Comment

Hanging revs usually means a lean condition or an air leak
      1978 GS 1000 (since new)
      1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
      1978 GS 1000 (parts)
      1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
      1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
      1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
      2007 DRz 400S
      1999 ATK 490ES
      1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Thank you guys. I will check for an air leak, as it wasn't doing this a few weeks back but I have been playing with it so the vacuum hose may have come loose. Time to go get a hair cut now though

Comment

You're a touch lean. Turn the idle air mixture screws out about an eighth of a turn to richen it a little. You may have to go more than that, but, you want to do it just a little at a time. If you turn them out to far it will bog or stumble as it comes back to idle.
          Larry D
          1980 GS450S
          1981 GS450S
          2003 Heritage Softtail

Comment

I believe the available idle adjusting screws are air screws, and you turn them in to richen the mixture, on an 85 EF. The screws that are plugged off by the factory are the fuel screws.

Comment

Originally posted by GSexpress View Post
              I believe the available idle adjusting screws are air screws, and you turn them in to richen the mixture, on an 85 EF. The screws that are plugged off by the factory are the fuel screws.
              Out is to make the pilot circuit more rich. In will lean out the mixture of the pilot circuit.
              Larry D
              1980 GS450S
              1981 GS450S
              2003 Heritage Softtail

Comment

Working...
              X