'81 GS 650 fuel shut off

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

'81 GS 650 fuel shut off

Just wondering if there is a way to shut the fuel off to the carbs? There is on, prime and reserve. So what do you do when you put the bike away for the winter, aside from draining the tank?
    Thanks

Leave it on, put some stabil in the fuel and cover the bike.

Welcome to the site...Basscliff will be along later with the official welcome.
    Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
    1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
    2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
    Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
    and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Yea, it was topped up with fuel. No stabil as I figured I would fire it up every couple weeks, but didn't. Bike is indoors, its not hot, but not cold either.

Comment

Greetings and Salutations!!

Hi Mr. ticker650,

See the link on my page entitled "Where Do These Hoses Go?" (<<or just click) for an explanation of how the stock vacuum petcock works on these GS bikes. Vacuum actuated petcocks allow fuel to flow only when the engine is running. If the engine is not running, even 'ON' is "off". (The 'PRI' position should be the only position that will allow fuel to flow with the engine off.)

Now let me share some GS lovin'.

I just stopped by to welcome you to the forum in my own, special way.

If there's anything you'd like to know about the Suzuki GS model bikes, and most others actually, you've come to the right place. There's a lot of knowledge and experience here in the community. Come on in and let me say "HOoooowwwDY!"....

Here is your very own magical, mystical, mythical, mind-expanding "mega-welcome". Please take notice of the "Top 10 Common Issues", "Top 15 Tips For GS Happiness", the Carb Rebuild Series, and the Stator Papers. Now let me roll out the welcome mat for you...

Please click here for your mega-welcome, chock full of tips, suggestions, links to vendors, and other information. Then feel free to visit my little BikeCliff website where I've been collecting the wisdom of this generous community. Don't forget, we like pictures! Not you, your bike!

Thanks for joining us. Keep us informed.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff
        Last edited by Guest; 02-28-2011, 02:12 PM.

Comment

awesome tip. I had no Idea, I did not find it in the manual thats for sure. I thought I'd be doing some work on it to get it running but no, that solved everything. So with that being said, what does the choke do then?? Might be an ignorant question, sorry

Comment

The "choke" on these bikes is actually an enrichment circuit that allows more air into the engine. It helps the engine warm up when cold starting.

Comment

Originally posted by Adler View Post
              The "choke" on these bikes is actually an enrichment circuit that allows more air into the engine. It helps the engine warm up when cold starting.

ummmmmm... not so much.

It actually adds FUEL, not air. Hence the "enrichment" portion of the equation.

Comment

Originally posted by Dave8338 View Post
                ummmmmm... not so much.

It actually adds FUEL, not air. Hence the "enrichment" portion of the equation.
                I thought it was both? (maybe I should have said that) You sure its just fuel?

EDIT: My understanding is that it opens a completely separate air passage. Attached to this air passage is a distinct, un-serviceable venturi. The reason I said it allows more air into the engine is because the added fuel is only a side-effect of the added air.
                Last edited by Guest; 02-28-2011, 02:20 PM.

Comment

Hi,

From the manual:

To me it sounds like extra fuel being mixed with the normal amount of air.

BassCliff

Comment

I guess that will be the thing I learn today. Is it the same with the VM carbs?

Comment

Originally posted by Adler View Post
                      I guess that will be the thing I learn today. Is it the same with the VM carbs?
                      Hi,

There's a VM manual on my website too.

BassCliff

Comment

Working...
                      X