Choke cable

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Choke cable

This seems a bit silly, but after following my Clymer manual to the letter to remove my carbs from my 82 1100E I am hung up by the choke cable. It isn't like the manual describes, but connects to the carb assembly by a spring loaded closure system. I was able to figure this part out and disconnect it, but now it doesn't want to thread back out of the metal tube/cable stop which holds the cable housing in place. The ferrule is small enough to enter the tube, but it hangs up once inside. The only other option is to remove the whole choke/throttle cable stop system that is bolted to the carb head, but these screws seem to be frozen--one of the screw heads started to strip when I attempted to remove it. Just wondering if anyone else is familiar with this cable arrangement and the proper way to remove the choke cable from the stop. (It'd be a lot easier to deal with the stubborn screws on a bench instead of dangling in mid air!)

Put a few drops of oil down the curved tube, work them in with the cable, then pull it out.

This arrangement is standard on all the carbs from '82 and up.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Thanks Steve. I put some WD40 on it and let it sit, but despite repeated attempts it didn't want to come out. Weird. I finally grabbed a file and removed a tiny bit of metal from the very end of the ferrule, and slightly rounded the same end. That did the trick. Now on to the real work!

Comment

Working...
      X