Issues with cyl #2 not running

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Issues with cyl #2 not running

My bike is a 80 GS1000E with pod filters, stock pipes, DJ stage 3 jet kit currently running 165 mains. A/F screws are out 2.5 turns. I have been having persistent issues with the #2 cyl not running right since I bought my bike. So far I have:

Clean/rebuilt carbs with new 0-rings
    Installed DJ stage 3 kit
    Replaced intake boot 0-rings and 1 boot (I tore it)
    Replaced Petcock with a Pingel unit
    Capped vac port on #2 carb with a nipple cap
    Bench synced carbs
    Vac synced carbs with DIY manometer (PVC hose, marvel mystery oil)
    Checked Valve clearances
    Swapped cyl #2 and cyl #3 plug wires to rule out ign issue
    Checked combustion color using a Colortune
    Checked A/F screew for a broken tip

The issue Im having is this: Upon start up/warm up, cyl #2 doesnt get hot thus, must not be running. I can putt around town alright but as soon as I give it 2/3 throttle or more, from then on, the bike runs like complete crap. I just got done checking my valve clearences today so I put her all back together again and went for a quick ride. Riding through my development at low speeds, the bike felt 'alright'. I got on to the main road and just got up to speed slowly and cruised at 35-40 without any issues. I turned onto a back road and opened her up a little once I saw there wasnt anyone else on the road but me. Got throught 1st, 2nd, 3rd, and into 4th, at about 2/3 throttle. Got of the gas in 4th crusied for 1/2 mile before getting back on the gas. When I gave it some throttle, the bike bogged down, lost most power and acted as though it was trying to get fuel. I clicked it into 5th and limped it the 1.5 miles home, almost every time I got off the gas on my way home, the bike would backfire or pop. While cruising home, The bike would surge and fall, surge and fall. Pulled into the garage and checked the plugs. 1,3 &5 are all nice and brown . #2 on the other hand, looks brand new (it was, prior to this ride) with the exception of the center electrode and the insulator tip being coated by a thin film of fuel.

I keep replacing things, hoping that each thing I replace will fix the problem but the problem hasnt gone away and hasnt changed. Cyl 1,3 & 4 are all good but I cant get the #2 cyl to run properly. Using the Colortune, I can see that it is getting spark, but it isnt igniting. I know its getting fuel as well because the plug fouls out and smells like fuel when I remove it. Im at a loss, Im frustrated, and I just want to ride. Ive always been a DIYer but Im at a point where I just want to take the bike down to a shop and have them fix it so I can enjoy the riding weather we are starting to get here in NC. Im asking you, all of you, PLEASE HELP! Any suggestions will be tested.

Check and make sure the fuel line isn't kinked when you put the tank down
    1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
    1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Originally posted by chef1366 View Post
      Check and make sure the fuel line isn't kinked when you put the tank down
      Line is new and is put on the tank after it's in place. No kinks, or bends. flows directly to the fuel nipple.

Comment

Have you tried swapping plug leads 2-3 to see if the problem stays at #2 (thus eliminating coil/ignition issues as cause) ?
        1978 GS 1000 (since new)
        1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
        1978 GS 1000 (parts)
        1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
        1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
        1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
        2007 DRz 400S
        1999 ATK 490ES
        1994 DR 350SES

Comment

The clean plug seems to indicate a non-firing problem.

You say you swapped #2 and #3, but apparently the problem did not move.

The part that did not move is the spark plug. Swap #1 and #2 plugs, try it again.

This would not be the first time that a "new" plug was found to be defective.

sigpic
          mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
          hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
          #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
          #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
          Family Portrait
          Siblings and Spouses
          Mom's first ride
          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
          (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

I've bought and gone through a case of plugs trying to diagnose this issue. The plugs all get healthy spark. Keep in mind, I used a colortune which allows you to see into the combustion chamber where I could see a strong spark but no combustion.

Comment

I know you said you checked valve clearances.

If there might have been a bit of crud on the seat of one of the valves in #2, it might be gone now, and the valve is not opening correctly.

On the other hand, if you have some crud that has lodged there since your valve check, the valve is not closing correctly. No compression, it won't fire.

If that is not the problem, then it has to be fuel, because you only need three things for the engine to work:
              a proper air/fuel mixture, sufficient compression and a properly-timed spark.

You have seen a spark. The fact that it runs on the other three cylinders kind of implies that it might be properly-timed.
              The air-fuel ratio might be off.
              Compression might be off due to valve clearance.

Don't expect a shop to help you on this, most of them have a 10-year rule. If you bike is more than 10 years old, they won't work on it.

sigpic
              mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
              hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
              #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
              #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
              Family Portrait
              Siblings and Spouses
              Mom's first ride
              Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
              (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by DrImodium View Post
                #2 on the other hand, looks brand new (it was, prior to this ride) with the exception of the center electrode and the insulator tip being coated by a thin film of fuel.

I know its getting fuel as well because the plug fouls out and smells like fuel when I remove it. Im at a loss, Im frustrated...
                That should be a hint right there.

also, what are your compression readings? no sense trying to get it run right if the compression isn't up to snuff.
                De-stinking Penelope http://thegsresources.com/_forum/sho...d.php?t=179245

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...35#post1625535

Comment

Havent done a compression test yet. Ill try to get my hands on a compression tester.

Comment

Blocked pilot jet No 2???
                    Dont give up
                    When you finally fix it the sense of satisfaction will almost make up for the speeding ticket.

Comment

Went to autozone and rented one of their compression testers. I didnt warm the bike up and it hasnt been ridden for 2 days. These are the results:

1-50
                      2-50
                      3-45
                      4-50

I can understand #3 being off a little because I know I need to swap one of the shims. The numbers are all REALLY low but Im thinking it could be the gauge that I used:

When it run right, It feels great. I have a hard time believing the rings are fried or the valves are burnt because I dont get smoke from the exhaust, it starts up first time every time, and generally runs alright until #2 starts acting up. All of the other plugs are nice and brown too.

One thing Im also thinking is the tank isnt lined so there is some crap in the bottom of the tank. I cleaned the tank out a few weeks ago with some Evaporust and then rinsed the tank out with a garden hose but didnt line it so. If there is still crud in the tank, I would assume it would gather in the #2 carb since that is where the fuel line connection is so it must pass through the #2 carb first.

What do yall think?

Comment

When you did the test, throttle wide open? All the plugs removed and fully charged battery to get a really high cranking speed? If not, the test is no good, if you did, try it again with the engine hot, then if it's still low do a wet test.

Maybe all of your valves are way too tight?

It just seems odd for all of the numbers to be so low, yet be so even.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Originally posted by DrImodium
                          Throttle was WO but plugs were not removed. Ill go do that right now and post back the results.
                          Ride it around the block first to get it warmed up a little?

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Throttle was WO and I just did it again will all plugs removed with the same results. I checked the valves on Tues and got these results:

1 In .63 Ex .76
                            2 In .38 Ex .63
                            3 In .32 Ex .102
                            4 In .38 Ex .63

I know I need to adjust Cyl #3 but all the others are in spec.

Comment

Originally posted by DrImodium View Post

1-50
                              2-50
                              3-45
                              4-50
                              Those are the highest readings as in they won't go any higher??? me thinks you did something wrong.

***edit*** is the schrader valve in the end of the hose? does the release button on the gauge leak?
                              Last edited by rustybronco; 03-04-2011, 04:55 PM.
                              De-stinking Penelope http://thegsresources.com/_forum/sho...d.php?t=179245

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...35#post1625535

Comment

Working...
                              X