rough running when gas gets low in tank

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

rough running when gas gets low in tank

This has happenned to me at least twice now. When I get to about 70 miles on a tank of gas it starts acting like it is starving for fuel. (I normally get about 105 before I have to put it to reserve) First time it happenned I limped it home and took the car to work. Next day I went out and put it on prime and it started up. Felt better. Moved petcock to normal position. Filled up the tank and it was fine.

Yesterday morning it happenned again. About 71 miles on the tank and it acts like I am reserve level. Stopped by and filled up but it still felt like it was starving for fuel and running rough. Drove car again to work.

Tonight I get home from work and go out to start bike. Put it on and listened to it flow for a few seconds. Pulled up on choke. Started up great. Then about 8 seconds later it was running rough again and now I can't get it running right.

I pulled off the fuel line, hooked up extra line and the petcock is operating properly. Flowed into a container freely on prime and properly on normal position when I sucked on the vacuum line.

I checked spark on all four wires with an extra plug.

I dropped the float bowl on number one and it looks clean. These carbs were fully taken apart and rebuilt about a year ago. Orings etc.

Not sure what to check next.

I did rebuild the petcock about 5 tankfuls ago.

I ride this bike about 4 times a week to work.

I also checked the gas cap thinking maybe it wasn't venting properly. Blew some cleaner through the holes and it flowed okay. Then I blew it out with air.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.
    David
    1998 Suzuki Bandit
    1978 GS750 gone but not forgotten
    1978 GS1000 - gone
    1981 GS850 - gone

Any chance you have a fuel filter in the line?

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

points and condensors? heating up condensors and they are acting sporadic when hot???
      MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
      1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Originally posted by chuck hahn View Post
        points and condensors? heating up condensors and they are acting sporadic when hot???
        If the 70 miles were all in one shot, I might (sort of) agree with you, but I happen to know that Dave does not live that far from work.

sigpic
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)

Comment

Well i dont know that!!! I have had old cars act like that when the condensors were getting ready to crap out..then again at a short distance maybe they are weak enough to act up anyways..just fishing here of course. And i am assuming the ignition is stock.
          MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
          1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Thanks Chuck but I have a dyna ignition on it. I am pretty sure it is not electrical but something might be off on it. Congrats on moving. Glad you made it safe.

Steve, I don't have filter on the line.

And all of these are short trips of no more than 30 minutes or so. Happenned both times with about the same amount of fuel which made me think it was somehow related to the flow of fuel but I am not sure....
            David
            1998 Suzuki Bandit
            1978 GS1000 - gone
            1981 GS850 - gone

Comment

I'd say either the petcock is malfunctioning or the fuel tank isn't venting properly. Remove the gas cap when running poorly and see if that remedies it. If not I'd just by a new petcock.
              1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
              1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Short trips??? Start stop at low RPMs... check your battery voltage next time it happens.

Comment

Originally posted by portdave View Post
                  Steve, I don't have filter on the line.
                  Dang. I was hoping that you had one that was just restrictive enough that half a tank of fuel was not enough pressure to push it through.

sigpic
                  Family Portrait
                  Siblings and Spouses
                  Mom's first ride

Comment

Originally posted by chef1366 View Post
                    I'd say either the petcock is malfunctioning or the fuel tank isn't venting properly. Remove the gas cap when running poorly and see if that remedies it. If not I'd just by a new petcock.
                    Chef,

Thanks. I am thinking I may just get a new petcock and cap. I am gonna drain all the gas out too... I started wondering about too much water in the gas too....lovely corn

Steve,

Good try. I will give you a call soon.

Dave,

Battery is really good but I will double check next time it happens. Right now I can't even get it to run right on a full tank. I just put it on the trickle charger. Will double check charging.

Thanks all.
                    David
                    1998 Suzuki Bandit
                    1978 GS1000 - gone
                    1981 GS850 - gone

Comment

Fuel filter inside of fuel tank on top of petcock clogging from debris in tank.?

Comment

Well I got it running again. I took the petcock out of the tank and there was some debris as mentioned by atb. I fully disassembled the petcock and soaked it in carb cleaner. I had just rebuilt it not too long ago so it wasn't too bad. I did get some tank cleaner and swished that around all day. Got some stuff out. Also dropped the bowls on all the carbs and pulled the float valves. Cleaned the pilot jets.

The carbs had been fully cleaned about 9 months ago.

Got it running again strong tonight so only time will tell. I am gonna get another petcock and gas cap on my next order anyway.

Thanks for all the help and I will let you know what develops.
                        David
                        1998 Suzuki Bandit
                        1978 GS1000 - gone
                        1981 GS850 - gone

Comment

Working...
                        X