Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Not getting fuel?

Bike- 1982 gs550l with 4300 miles.

I took the bike out of storage about 2 months ago and it started right up and ran fine, but then it got cold again so I put it away. Now it is nice again so I got it out and it barely starts! I think it's only running on two cyclinders? The plugs on the right side were hot and the left side were just warm.

Plugs were dry btw.

any ideas?

is there not enough back pressure on the air filter?

When you fired it up, then put it away, did you do any winterizing to prepare the fuel for storage?

If not, you will likely need to pull the carbs and do a FULL cleaning. This would also be a good time to change the o-rings, since you will have the carbs COMPLETELY stripped down, anyway.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
      When you fired it up, then put it away, did you do any winterizing to prepare the fuel for storage?

If not, you will likely need to pull the carbs and do a FULL cleaning. This would also be a good time to change the o-rings, since you will have the carbs COMPLETELY stripped down, anyway.

There was fuel stablizer in it from before. I only rode it maybe a mile.

Comment

Did you set the petcock to PRI for a minute before trying to start it?

Oh, the air filter does not need any "back pressure".

sigpic
        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Does it run on all cylinders once it's warmed up? Did you leave it on the side stand? The fact that the left side isn't working indicates maybe you did... So then the left side carburetors get more fuel to dry out and clog up the carbs... Stabil keeps fuel in the tank from going bad but it doesn't stop it from evaporating from the carburetors and leaving goo behind, so drain the carbs too before letting the bike sit. If the petcock leaks a little fuel, the evaporating fuel will be replaced by more fuel which also evaporates, clogging things up more.
          It's possible to have the fuel enrichment feed passage in the float bowl clog up, then the choke will add no fuel, only air. Those cylinders won't fire until the engine is warm enough to run without the choke. If this is the case you can take off the bowl, clean the passage, and clean the feed tube that hangs down from the carb body. If you get it going, RIDE IT to keep everything working well, fresh fuel moving through these tiny passages will eventually clean them out.

It's likely you will need to do a thorough carb cleaning, check that petcock out too.
          Last edited by tkent02; 03-23-2011, 12:51 PM.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
            Did you set the petcock to PRI for a minute before trying to start it?

Oh, the air filter does not need any "back pressure".

I had it on PRI until it started then turned it back.

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
              Does it run on all cylinders once it's warmed up? Did you leave it on the side stand? The fact that the left side isn't working indicates maybe you did... So then the left side carburetors get more fuel to dry out and clog up the carbs... Stabil keeps fuel in the tank from going bad but it doesn't stop it from evaporating from the carburetors and leaving goo behind, so drain the carbs too before letting the bike sit. If the petcock leaks a little fuel, the evaporating fuel will be replaced by more fuel which also evaporates, clogging things up more.
              It's possible to have the fuel enrichment feed passage in the float bowl clog up, then the choke will add no fuel, only air. Those cylinders won't fire until the engine is warm enough to run without the choke. If this is the case you can take off the bowl, clean the passage, and clean the feed tube that hangs down from the carb body. If you get it going, RIDE IT to keep everything working well, fresh fuel moving through these tiny passages will eventually clean them out.

It's likely you will need to do a thorough carb cleaning, check that petcock out too.
              Yes I left it on the side stand opps. Can I drain the carbs without taking them out? I dont have much room to work with.

Comment

Originally posted by kevbot View Post
                Yes I left it on the side stand opps. Can I drain the carbs without taking them out? I dont have much room to work with.
                You can remove the drain plugs, and you can remove the float bowls if you have dexterity in your fingers and have the right tools. The tools are key, as is stubbornness.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
                  You can remove the drain plugs, and you can remove the float bowls if you have dexterity in your fingers and have the right tools. The tools are key, as is stubbornness.
                  Yeah I'll have to check it out when I get home.

Comment

Hi,

Is your battery fully charged after sitting all winter? Clean electrical connections are important. Things may have oxidized after sitting for a while. All of the electrical connections should be cleaned, especially the charging system. But it sounds like the carbs do need to be cleaned. See your thread in the GS Owners section for your "mega-welcome" with lots of information.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Hey guys drained the bowls and filled them up and now it runs great. thanks guys

Comment

way cool congrats
                        MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
                        1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

I'll have to try that.
                          I put my 83 GS750ES away for the winter and forgot to do the stabil. I know, VERY dumb. It sat in a heated garage all winter on the sidestand cuz there is no center stand, was removed by a PO.
                          The bike cranks like an SOB but won't start. The cylinders and plugs remain dry even though I've got the choke on full.
                          I've checked and re-checked elec. connections, the coils, ignitor, R/R. All check out fine. I've also changed the vacuum hose and cleaned the gas cap vents.
                          I guess since all four cyl. are dry, it's not getting any fuel. The petcock works fine. Fuel ran through the petcock out of the fuel line into a container. I changed the fuel in the tank but not in the bowls. I'll try that tonight.
                          I know I probably have to take off the carbs and give them a thorough cleaning but is there something else I should try first? It seems unlikely that all four carbs would be so gummed as to not deliver ANY fuel to the cylinders.
                          Any suggestions of things to try before I pull off the carbs. It seems strange to me it won't kick over at all, nada.
                          I think it was in BassCliff's site I read that you can spray a tiny bit of gas into the cylinders before replacing the plugs and if the bike fires up briefly, you know it's a gas delivery issue and not electrical. Does that sound about right?
                          thanks in advance,
                          baz

Comment

Working...
                          X