Fuel Delivery?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fuel Delivery?

So, back again with more issues with the GS550e. I believe the reason its not running right and idling for more than 10 seconds has to do with the fuel delivery to the carbs. Issue: with the float bowl drain plug removed, and petcock set to "prime" the fuel flows straight through the carb(s) and into a container. However, when set to On/Reserve (with the plug still out) not a single drop even lands in the "catch" container. Possibly a vacuum issue? Possibly a petcock issue?

The lines appear to be hooked up correctly, the carb with the fuel line has the vacuum line attached to the petcock and it appears to be creating vacuum, when i unhook and place my hand on the line.

Hi,

Have you tested the petcock?

Disconnect the vacuum line from the carb, leave it connected to the petcock. Take the fuel line from the petcock and direct the output to an external container. Set the petcock to 'ON' and apply your own vacuum (suck on it). Does fuel flow from the petcock into your external container?

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

i tested it. at first i sucked as hard as possible, and nothing. then when i tried a second time it started flowing. Possible clog? I had to suck extremely hard, and i doubt the vacuum line provides as much pressure as i did to get it going. any suggestions?

Comment

Its easy to take apart the petcock and see how it works, thats what I would do.

Comment

Hi,

From your "mega-welcome":

Top 10:
          7. Petcock (install a NEW one)

Top 15:
          13) Install new petcock, since I'm going to head to the roof with a rifle if I have to read about yet another #2 plug fouling and failed hillbilly attempts to rebuild the petcock and/or deny there's a problem.

Now it's your bike, you do what you want. But if you replace the petcock you won't have to worry about it for another 25 years or so.

BassCliff

Comment

Originally posted by c0okiez View Post
            i tested it. at first i sucked as hard as possible, and nothing. then when i tried a second time it started flowing. Possible clog? I had to suck extremely hard, and i doubt the vacuum line provides as much pressure as i did to get it going. any suggestions?
            Yes, take Basscliff's advice and eliminate the petcock as a problem.
            1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

The lines appear to be hooked up correctly, the carb with the fuel line has the vacuum line attached to the petcock and it appears to be creating vacuum, when i unhook and place my hand on the line.
              Just to be clear

The fuel line goes to the T between carbs 2-3

The vacuum line goes on the top front of carb #2

Have you tried starting it with the petcock set on Prime? Does it still stop after 10 seconds?
              1978 GS 1000 (since new)
              1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
              1978 GS 1000 (parts)
              1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
              1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
              1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
              2007 DRz 400S
              1999 ATK 490ES
              1994 DR 350SES

Comment

i dont have the 4-carb set up. its the two-barrel. but now it doesnt even want to crank over or stay running for 1 second with it set to prime or on/res. its either not getting fuel, or just not getting a spark.

Comment

Hi,

If you have a spare plug, take a plug cap off and plug it in. Then lay it on the head (to ground it). Crank the motor. See if you get spark.

BassCliff

Comment

i dont have the 4-carb set up. its the two-barrel. but now it doesnt even want to crank over or stay running for 1 second with it set to prime or on/res. its either not getting fuel, or just not getting a spark.
                    I forgot about that

I'd be checking the plugs for spark . Pull 1 and 4, plug them into the caps and lay on the head. Turn off the lights and hit the starter button. Red? Yellow? Blue? White?
                    1978 GS 1000 (since new)
                    1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
                    1978 GS 1000 (parts)
                    1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
                    1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
                    1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
                    2007 DRz 400S
                    1999 ATK 490ES
                    1994 DR 350SES

Comment

been searching ebay for new petcocks, and came across this one http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/GS550...Q5fAccessories
                      ^thing this would work with the 85 model? the knobs are a tad different.

Comment

Hi,

That aftermarket petcock looks like it has the fuel and vacuum nipples on the opposite side of the OEM part.

Partshark.com lists a new OEM petcock for $77.87, part# 44300-43461. GSSuzuki.com lists it for $72.56. Cyclepartsnation.com lists it for $75.69.

According to a cross-reference, the '83-'86 GS550E(ES, EF, etc) all use the same petcock.

That Ebay petcock might work OK if there is room to route the hoses without getting pinched. Another option would be to see if there is a Pingel petcock that fits properly (perhaps with an adapter). Note that the Pingel units are not vacuum operated petcocks and you would have to remember to TURN IT OFF every time you got off the bike. If you go that routhe, give Z1Enterprises.com a call and see if they can help you.

BassCliff

Comment

i can always count on you cliff =) thanks. I guess while i'm going ahead and ordering everything, i kind of want to replace the spark plug wires and caps just to rule some more stuff out. Any special site i need to order them from?

Comment

You can open the petcock you have and check it out.
                            It is worthwhile doing especially if you have decided to buy a new one.

Four screws on the backside will reveal the diaphraghm.
                            There is some screws so be careful.

It could be as simple as a light cleaning.
                            Prett easy thing to at least check and clean.
                            Yhing may just be gummed up after all.

Comment

yeah, that's what i planned on doing. never hurts just to check. but i will be buying a new one just to be on the safe side. what about places to purchase new plug wires? have any idea?

Comment

Working...
                              X