Berrymans ,B12 or B9 cleaner

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Berrymans ,B12 or B9 cleaner

I have been doing a search for Berrymans and I have been having a hard time finding it locally so I have gone to the web to order some and then I ran across the delema of which one? So which one are you people using, B12 or B9? I have been using Macs sold through Napa stores for yrs but am not overly satisfied with the results.I have let carb bodies soak for days and they come out clean. But not like new. So which one B12 or B9?
    1984 GS1100GK newest addition to the heard
    80 GS 1000gt- most favorite ride love this bike
    1978 GS1000E- Known as "RoadKill" , Finished
    83 gs750ed- first new purchase
    85 EX500- vintage track weapon
    1958Ducati 98 Tourismo
    “Remember When in doubt use full throttle, It may not improve the situation ,but it will end the suspense ,
    If it isn't going to make it faster or safer it isn't worth doing

They wont come out like new from Berrymans either.kinda dull grey on them..If you want them nice and shiney youll need to use a wire bristled toothbrush to get the initial cleaning done.. then a green scrubby and some comet cleanser.....or soda blasting the bodies... etc etc
    MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
    1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Hmmm...

I just looked at my can and could not see the designations "B9" or "B12" anywhere printed on the can. What I have is called "Chem-Dip" and it's part #0996. I picked it up at AutoZone when I was near one at one point. The closest parts place to me is Advance Auto Parts, they carry Gunk carb & parts cleaner. That seemed like fine stuff too. It's considerably clearer so if you drop a part it will be easier to see/find. I thought the Gunk basket was a little bit better. Berryman's smells nicer IIRC.

If you clean the outside of the cabs pretty well before going into the dip you'll make the stuff last longer. That dirt doesn't count toward operation.

Comment

if you scrub them or soda blast them be sure to rinse the crap,out of them before reassembly so theres no possibility of anyhthing left behind in the bodies themselves.
        1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

I'll agree with Chuck here, too. They're not going to come out shiny. That's something which elbow grease can help. Steve's worked up some mirror-shiny bowls IIRC. Cleaner does not fill in pits or texture.

Comment

Originally posted by chuck hahn View Post
            They wont come out like new from Berrymans either.kinda dull grey on them..If you want them nice and shiney youll need to use a wire bristled toothbrush to get the initial cleaning done.. then a green scrubby and some comet cleanser.....or soda blasting the bodies... etc etc
            I am more concerned about the brass parts , the tarnishing and all. The macs cleaner gets the aluminum parts clean enough, not much brushing required there.Leave them sit for a day and just rinse with hot water, come out like new, but it doesn't seem to touch the brass parts very well. It may just be me ,but it seems like if you don't get all the tarnishing , off the brass parts, that it is like mold and you have to clean the carbs more often . Kinda like if you don't get it all it just grows back
            1958Ducati 98 Tourismo
            “Remember When in doubt use full throttle, It may not improve the situation ,but it will end the suspense ,

Comment

Originally posted by mike_of_bbg View Post
              Hmmm...

I just looked at my can and could not see the designations "B9" or "B12" anywhere printed on the can. What I have is called "Chem-Dip" and it's part #0996. I picked it up at AutoZone when I was near one at one point. The closest parts place to me is Advance Auto Parts, they carry Gunk carb & parts cleaner. That seemed like fine stuff too. It's considerably clearer so if you drop a part it will be easier to see/find. I thought the Gunk basket was a little bit better. Berryman's smells nicer IIRC.

If you clean the outside of the cabs pretty well before going into the dip you'll make the stuff last longer. That dirt doesn't count toward operation.
              Here is what I found;

Scroll to bottom of link
              1958Ducati 98 Tourismo

Comment

youll need to scrub them with a toothbrush abit too just to get the loosened stuff off them. Poke EVERY hole in the jets and the emulsion tubes. Run a bread tie wire all the way to the bottom of the pickmup, tubes. Rinse thejets and tube well with crab spray and blow everything out with compressd air..be a thorough as you can. Berrymans will loosen the crap,of them for sure.

Comment

got the same part number here, Mike.

Comment

Originally posted by hjfisk View Post
                    I have been doing a search for Berrymans and I have been having a hard time finding it locally so I have gone to the web to order some and then I ran across the delema of which one?
                    Let me know if you can't find any, I will be leaving here on Tuesday, headed your way.

I can bring you a gallon can of Berryman's if you want. I will be in Glens Falls, NY, which isn't all that far from you.

Originally posted by mike_of_bbg View Post
                    Steve's worked up some mirror-shiny bowls IIRC.
                    Why does everyone seem to think that?

(not the same set of carbs

sigpic
                    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                    Family Portrait
                    Siblings and Spouses
                    Mom's first ride
                    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

I dunno, I just dump a little B12 in my gas tank to clean out the carbs sometimes.

Comment

Working...
                      X