midrange stumble

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

midrange stumble

I have an 82 750t with about 30,000 miles. I put the last 15000 on over the past few years. It has been virtually trouble free. On the last couple of rides though, it seems to have developed a midrange stumble most noticeable in first gear. It seems mostly in the 3000 to 6000 rpm range, above and below it seems unaffected. I thought that i also felt a little more viration than normal but I might just be imagining things. I've never had the carbs off and mabye it's just time.. any input would be greatly appreciated.

Greetings and Salutations!!

Hi Mr. Anton,

What maintenance has been done to your 30 year old bike? The rubber parts certainly deteriorate after 30 years of heat, sun, and gasoline. Has it been sitting for a length of time? Everything starts with clean carbs and well adjusted valves. Click the links below and see the rest of the items on the maintenance lists.

Anyway, let me dump a TON if information on you and share some GS lovin'.

I just stopped by to welcome you to the forum in my own, special way.

If there's anything you'd like to know about the Suzuki GS model bikes, and most others actually, you've come to the right place. There's a lot of knowledge and experience here in the community. Come on in and let me say "HOoooowwwDY!"....

Here is your very own magical, mystical, mythical, mind-expanding "mega-welcome". Please take notice of the "Top 10 Common Issues", "Top 15 Tips For GS Happiness", the Carb Rebuild Series, and the Stator Papers. All of these tasks must be addressed in order to have a safe, reliable machine. Now let me roll out the welcome mat for you...

Please click here for your mega-welcome, chock full of tips, suggestions, links to vendors, and other information. Then feel free to visit my little BikeCliff website where I've been collecting the wisdom of this generous community. Don't forget, we like pictures! Not you, your bike!

Thanks for joining us. Keep us informed.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Raise the needles about .050" and that stumble should go away...

This assumes the carbs are clean & no intake air leaks.
      '85 GS550L - SOLD
      '85 GS550E - SOLD
      '82 GS650GL - SOLD
      '81 GS750L - SOLD
      '82 GS850GL - trusty steed
      '80 GS1100L - son's project bike
      '82 GS1100G - SOLD
      '81 GS1100E - Big Red (daily rider)

Comment

midrange stumble

Thanks for the reply, hikermikem. The bike was well maintained before and since i've owned it but who knows how long it's been since the carbs have been gone through. i've been hearing alot about ethanol causing probs in older carburated machines so i guess deterioration could be reality. The only carb i've rebuilt was my 2 barrel on an old f100 i use to have and while i'm pretty handy, tackling the four of the crbs on my bike is a little intimidating. I've got i clymer book and what looks like good help from the resource so I guess it's time to man up and go through em.

Comment

Cliff's mega-welcome contains all the info you need to properly do a carb clean. It looks intimidating but it's not that bad, kinda fun I think...

Plus there's all the knowledgable & helpful folks here who will help you if you get stuck or have questions...

It's hard to get these bikes figured out without starting with squeaky clean carbs - it's a major part of the tuning puzzle.
          '85 GS550L - SOLD
          '85 GS550E - SOLD
          '82 GS650GL - SOLD
          '81 GS750L - SOLD
          '82 GS850GL - trusty steed
          '80 GS1100L - son's project bike
          '82 GS1100G - SOLD
          '81 GS1100E - Big Red (daily rider)

Comment

Originally posted by hikermikem View Post
            Cliff's mega-welcome contains all the info you need to properly do a carb clean. It looks intimidating but it's not that bad, kinda fun I think...

Plus there's all the knowledgable & helpful folks here who will help you if you get stuck or have questions...

It's hard to get these bikes figured out without starting with squeaky clean carbs - it's a major part of the tuning puzzle.
            Specifically Cliff is hosting my T owners manual and my Suzuki shop book. Beyond that the pulsing brains here will help to no end.
            Hondas
            '73 ATC70 '85 XL125S '02 XR650L
            Suzuki
            '83 gs750t vin#551 '97 DR650
            Kaw
            '89 KLR650

sigpic

Comment

Working...
            X