My Homemade Manometer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My Homemade Manometer

Here's a picture of my homemade manometer. It's similar to a design I saw on the 250 ninja site for a 2 cylinder but adapted to a 4 cylinder engine. If it's not clear from the pic, the tube to each cylinder *just* goes through the stopper while the tube to the other bottles goes all the way down to the fluid.

*update* Apparently there's some confusion as to ultimately how this works so I'm clearing it up here. The fluid fills up the bottles and never goes up the tubes to the cylinders. If you fill each bottle less than 1/4 full, even if all the fluid from all of the bottles is sucked into one bottle, the strong cylinder will only suck up *air*. You check the levels in the bottles, not the tubes in any way; I set mine on a 2' step ladder to watch it while adjusting cylinders. Also, because you have the volume of each bottle involved in the vacuum, there is no need for restrictors or anything like it to reduce the amount of vacuum or smooth out the vacuum pulses.

I used Lipton iced tea bottles I recycled from co-workers and the tubing, tees, and rubber stoppers all came from Ace Hardware (less than $20 I believe). The 'fluid' is just distilled water with blue coloring; no need for oil or ATF with this design although they would work just as well. The water doesn't even need to be distilled water but I wanted to avoid any deposits later on and I had plenty left over from my battery.

The port adapters are the 5mm hex screws from my old intake boots as my new ones came with them. I simply drilled them through and then soldered a piece of 3/16th brass tubing on to the head. An 18" piece of tubing was like a $1.35 at Ace again and the vinyl tubing slipped over it perfectly.

The pros: With the correct starting level of fluid you never have to worry about sucking fluid into the cylinder. You can synchronize fully taking into account the interaction between all the cylinders; after seeing this in operation, I don't see how syncing, say 1-3, then 2-3, then 3-4 is really going to give you the best sync. There's no 'pulsing' to worry about as the design smooths out the vacuum across all RPM ranges. It's cheap. It gives you the chance to fabricate (my wife likes to say 'makeshift'!) something.

The cons: If you have a cylinder that's way off then you can suck a bottle dry before you get it adjusted enough to settle down. This could be alleviated by using a more viscous fluid like oil or ATF and/or using bigger bottles to allow for a greater volume of fluid. It really wasn't a big deal though to just cut the engine, pull the tube from the port adapter on the bottle that was full, and blow until the air was out of the system and the bottles were leveling out again. Once I was close though, using a thinner fluid really helped make it easy to see minor adjustments quickly.

Never having done this before, I was amazed at how tiny adjustments made a big difference between the cylinders. I was turning the screws a 16th of a turn and seeing a rapid shift in the levels often times.
    Last edited by Guest; 04-19-2011, 02:56 PM. Reason: Clarification

Here's a pic of the port adapters.

Comment

Nice idea and good innovation.
      Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
      1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
      2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
      Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
      and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Nice clean design & execution.

I think I would use ATF fluid and perhaps put restrictors in about 6" from the ends of the tubes being connected to the vacuum tubes. That should stabalize the fluid somewhat and stop it from getting sucked in.

You might also think about attaching the upper parts of the tubes to a backer board as it will make the levels easier to see and balance.

Good work and thanks for sharing. A nice cheap alternative to the store bought gizmos.

cheers,
        Spyug

Comment

I've updated my original post above but I also wanted to add another pic to clarify the design. Check out the two bottle method (with good pictures) for 2 cylinders here. I extended the concept to a 4 cylinder engine. I don't recommend trying to use the two bottle method and syncing cylinders in pairs because of the interaction between them all. This picture shows the tubing for cylinders 1 and 4, but 2 and 3 had not been attached yet.

The tubes that run to the bottom of the bottles serves to link the fluid between the bottles (and therefore all the cylinders' vacuum) using the tees. Then, the second tube (which goes just through the bottom of the stopper but no more) goes to the cylinders. As a cylinder creates more vacuum than the others it creates a vacuum in the space above the liquid in its bottle and pulls more liquid into its corresponding bottle. If its vacuum is weaker, it gets its liquid sucked out into other bottles and its level lowers. If they are all even the level of fluid will remain constant which is of course the desired tuning state. Atmospheric pressure automatically levels out the fluid level between the bottles when not hooked up to a running engine. (A great science experiment to show the kids as well; hook 4 kids up to it and see who can suck or blow the hardest. Mine got a big kick out of it.)

So, with this method you can quickly see the relative strengths and weaknesses of each cylinder in relation to the others and adjust accordingly. And again, there is no worry about sucking up *anything* into your engine if you fill each bottle just less than 1/4 full. Restrictors are not necessary either as the fluid level changes are smooth as silk and automatically evened out by the design.

Like other methods however you really are only syncing against #3 so you don't need to adjust it. Leave #3 as it is and then adjust #1, #2, and #4 as necessary. It took quite a bit of little tweaks going back and forth between the 3 cylinders until there was no movement of the bottle levels either way.
          Last edited by Guest; 04-19-2011, 03:30 PM. Reason: Correction

Comment

That's very clever!!

I'd really like to see a video of it in use. Better yet, come over to my house and I can see it in use in person!!

How much for one shipped to 97128??

Thanks,
            Brian

Comment

Thanks!

I do have a quick 10 second video of when I first ran it hooked up but I don't have a place to post it. Hmm, maybe I'll have to plan a road trip to the Pac. Northwest and bring it along LOL

Comment

KC, you are about 130 miles, give or take, from me. I may have to ride down and "borrow" your nifty tool.

Comment

Originally posted by kcorbin View Post
                  Thanks!

I do have a quick 10 second video of when I first ran it hooked up but I don't have a place to post it. Hmm, maybe I'll have to plan a road trip to the Pac. Northwest and bring it along LOL
                  BBQ and beers and Pendletons on me!

I'd be interested in the video. You should be able to post directly to YouTube without any trouble. Just cut and paste the URL once you get it done...

Thanks again,
                  Brian

Comment

This is so bloody simple I'm annoyed I didn't think of it. I like simple. I've got the proper gauges but I'm gonna play with this as well, just for the heck of it.

Nice one Mr Corbin.
                    79 GS1000S
                    79 GS1000S (another one)
                    80 GSX750
                    80 GS550
                    80 CB650 cafe racer
                    75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
                    75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

I just posted the video on YouTube here. Sorry for the shortness and poor quality; I made the video with my digital camera which doesn't do video well and had only made it to email to a buddy. But, it does give you a good idea of the operation.

After I give it a good road test and such I'll run the synchronizer again and try to post a proper video doing a full tune.

Comment

could you list the size of tubing and other bits and bobs you used?

Thank you.

Comment

This is the best type of DIY manometer that I have seen to date!
                          And for being failsafe with the fluid which cannot be sucked into the engine and on top of it the footprint is much smaller than the unwieldly long tube types!
                          The response shown in your video is excellent, this will beat the 4 gauges type hands down!

I am definitely going to make one!
                          Thanks for sharing

Comment

Originally posted by Matchless View Post
                            This is the best type of DIY manometer that I have seen to date!
                            And for being failsafe with the fluid which cannot be sucked into the engine and on top of it the footprint is much smaller than the unwieldly long tube types!
                            The response shown in your video is excellent, this will beat the 4 gauges type hands down!

I am definitely going to make one!
                            Thanks for sharing
                            X2! I've been using an old CarbStix Mercury manometer since the late 70's. This manometer is infinitely better! Thanks for a great post that should be added to the "In the Garage" section. Definitely a keeper!
                            Thanks again!
                            Willie
                            Common sense has become so uncommon that I consider it a super power.

Present Stable includes:
                            '74 GT750 Resto-mod I've owned since '79
                            '83 GS1100E (The best E I've ever enjoyed, Joe Nardy's former bike)
                            '82 GS1100G Resto project

Comment

Originally posted by castlekin View Post
                              could you list the size of tubing and other bits and bobs you used?

Thank you.
                              Some of it is up to what materials you have available. Here's a basic parts list:
                              4 - Glass Bottles - Must be glass because of the vacuums involved; a plastic bottle would flex too much.

4 - Rubber Stoppers - One of the most expensive components were the rubber stoppers. They can range from $1.50-$3.00 depending on the size so I recommend finding glass bottles with a fairly small mouth so you can use the smaller stoppers. But also remember you have to drill 2 holes to slip the tubing through so make sure they are big enough there. Approx. 1-1/4"? Put them in the freezer before drilling to make it a bit easier and then use some sort of lubricant like diluted liquid soap to help push the tubing through the holes. A 'real' hardware store should have them but I also found a Lowe's that happened to have them as well but I was surprised to find that they weren't really any cheaper.

4 - Nylon Tees - They can be pricey too for what they are; I think I paid $1.50 each or something. Something approx. 3/16" should work. Just grab a piece of your tubing and find one that fits.

18' - Vinyl Tubing - 3/16" ID, 5/16" OD. I got it for like $.25/ft. Cut 4 pieces about 4' long to run to the cylinders and use the rest to make the connections between the bottles. 3/16" ID works well because it also *just* fits over the 3/16 brass tubing for the port adapters.

I just used scrap wood, zip-ties, and left over spray paint to make the rack to hold them. Drill holes through the back plane to secure the bottles with the zip ties. I just wanted something to minimize possible breakage of the glass and make the fluid levels more visible.

For the port adapters:
                              1' - 3/16" Brass Tubing - Only $1.69 and more than I needed. Cut it into 4 1-1/2" pieces. Put them in a drill and hold some sand paper to one end to round the edges just enough to make the tubing slip on easier.

4 - 5MM Socket Head Cap Screw - $.77 each at my hardware store or if you have some left over from replaced intake boots use those. I like free.

4 - 5MM washers - Probably only a few cents each. These help give a good seal when installed and I don't think any teflon tape or anything is necessary.

Drill holes through the center of the screws and then solder the unsanded ends of the brass tubing to the heads of the screws. You may need to sand the heads of the screws a bit to get the solder to stick.

That's it; there's really not all that much to it.

Comment

Working...
                              X