Alrighty...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Alrighty...

I just got my first check from my new job =D and am ordering the final parts (I hope) to get 'er running.

My question for this board is 'do I need this hose?'

The hose in question is on the bottom of the stock airbox, most places call it a drain and it has a nipple type thing on it I believe.

The top hose (blowby gas recycling) is still there and in all right condition, but the PO lost the drain hose. If needed I will provide pics if anyone needs them for visual aid.

I know I can't just leave it open because it will make it run lean, but would it be okay to stick a plug in there, or will oil build up after a while and make the blue smoke issue?

Sorry if I am rambling, but I like to include anything I have readily available to help get a quick answer(I think I may have found a new signature... lol)

Originally posted by JCSkokos View Post
    I just got my first check from my new job =D and am ordering the final parts (I hope) to get 'er running.

My question for this board is 'do I need this hose?'

The hose in question is on the bottom of the stock airbox, most places call it a drain and it has a nipple type thing on it I believe.

The top hose (blowby gas recycling) is still there and in all right condition, but the PO lost the drain hose. If needed I will provide pics if anyone needs them for visual aid.

I know I can't just leave it open because it will make it run lean, but would it be okay to stick a plug in there, or will oil build up after a while and make the blue smoke issue?

Sorry if I am rambling, but I like to include anything I have readily available to help get a quick answer(I think I may have found a new signature... lol)
    As far as I can tell on my 650L, the drain hose from airbox gets reduced to small 1/4 " dia outlet hanging in breeze. Initially, I'd just plug yours. It's mostly there to dump fuel during operator error, or faulty petcock.
    Don't forget the two vent hoses from carbs that run over airbox and just hang there.
    1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Hi,

I believe you are speaking of #6 in the air cleaner parts fiche:

#6 .TUBE, DRAIN
      13870-11458 (replaces 13870-00020)

While it is not a critical part, it can drain fluids away from your rear tire instead of letting them splash all over everything. If the OEM tubing is too expensive you can substitute just about anything that will fit. It might not last as long but will work.

It is a DRAIN and will not make your bike run lean. Do not plug it.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Tom, I was thinking it was for any oil that happened to come over from the valve cover (blowby gasses)

BassCliff, I was hoping it would just be able to be replaced cheaply. I will replace with a higher quality part later, but for now I want to get 'er on the road. Since it was just an opening on the bottom I was concerned about extra air coming in through there, but if I can I will get carquest hose for now.

Thanks guys for the responses. the order is going in now.

Comment

Mine dumped some fuel last year into the airbox and I didn't have a drain hose on it. It was not very nice. I picked up some clear fuel resistant hose at O'Reilly's, put it on and it's been fine ever since.

Comment

Working...
          X