Newbie needs help with carb/idle adjustment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Newbie needs help with carb/idle adjustment

82 GS450T, (model year says 81, but Suzuki lit says 82), First bike. Cleaned carbs and reassembled. Bike started up but revved high and won't idle at all. We played with the adjustment screw and got it to idle really low, but it would stall out. Also the throttle is unresponsive. My buddy thinks its a fuel line issue, but I think we need help adjusting the carb/idle. Where to begin?

Did you clean the carbs per the tutorial? Or did you spray some cleaner around inside?

We need more info

Most likely you're both wrong, BTW
    1978 GS 1000 (since new)
    1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
    1978 GS 1000 (parts)
    1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
    1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
    1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
    2007 DRz 400S
    1999 ATK 490ES
    1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Originally posted by Big T View Post
      Did you clean the carbs per the tutorial? Or did you spray some cleaner around inside?

We need more info

You forgot to send him to Basscliff's!
      1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

Greetings and Salutations!!

Hi Mr. stodman,

Yes, there is a definite protocol to reviving these classic bikes. A 30 year old machine that has been neglected/abused needs lots of TLC. Let's get started.

Whatever you do, don't do these: Top 10 Newbie Mistakes

Anyway, let me dump a TON if information on you and share some GS lovin'.

I just stopped by to welcome you to the forum in my own, special way.

If there's anything you'd like to know about the Suzuki GS model bikes, and most others actually, you've come to the right place. There's a lot of knowledge and experience here in the community. Come on in and let me say "HOoooowwwDY!"....

Here is your very own magical, mystical, mythical, mind-expanding "mega-welcome". Please take notice of the "Top 10 Common Issues", "Top 15 Tips For GS Happiness", the Carb Rebuild Series, and the Stator Papers. All of these tasks must be addressed in order to have a safe, reliable machine. Now let me roll out the welcome mat for you...

Please click here for your mega-welcome, chock full of tips, suggestions, links to vendors, and other information. Then feel free to visit my little BikeCliff website where I've been collecting the wisdom of this generous community. Don't forget, we like pictures! Not you, your bike!

Thanks for joining us. Keep us informed.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Originally posted by stodman View Post
          82 GS450T, (model year says 81, but Suzuki lit says 82), ...
          I am confused about this. Look on the steering neck, find the serial number and the production date. At the end of the serial number will be a letter. If the letter is X, it's an '81, if it's a Z, it's an '82. The production date will also give you a clue. Bikes made in September and later are usually classified as the next year's model. If your bike was made in 09/81, it would likely be an '82.

By the way, don't let the T in the model designation fool you about the year. The '80 models had a T at the end.
          If your bike is, in fact, an '81, it's full designation would be GS450TX. If it's an '82, it would be GS450TZ.

sigpic
          mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
          hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
          #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
          #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
          Family Portrait
          Siblings and Spouses
          Mom's first ride
          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
          (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

We cleaned the carbs pretty well, but not quite as completely as the tutorial shows. Fully dissassembled, sprayed, dipped, and blew out all pieces, parts, and passages. Replaced o-rings. and reassembled. Also replaced o-rings on intake boots.

There was chunky gunk in the bottom of the bowls. The bike sat a barn for 15 years. Only has 7800 miles on her.

Comment

Thanks for the links,

I looked at the mikuni carb stuff, I guess i'm going to try to bench sync the carbs and go from there.

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated

Stodman

Comment

model designation

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                I am confused about this. Look on the steering neck, find the serial number and the production date. At the end of the serial number will be a letter. If the letter is X, it's an '81, if it's a Z, it's an '82. The production date will also give you a clue. Bikes made in September and later are usually classified as the next year's model. If your bike was made in 09/81, it would likely be an '82.

By the way, don't let the T in the model designation fool you about the year. The '80 models had a T at the end.
                If your bike is, in fact, an '81, it's full designation would be GS450TX. If it's an '82, it would be GS450TZ.

Ok, the sticker on the steering neck is half gone so I can't tell production date. However there is the imprint of an "X" in the very top right hand corner or whats left of the backing of the missing sticker. Is this what we're looking for and if so then I guess my girls an '81 GS450TX.

Comment

Originally posted by Big T View Post

We need more info

Yes I did clean the carbs, but not as thourough as the tutorial. Dissassembled, dipped, blew out all parts and passages, new o-rings, and new intake o-rings.

The bike was at a buddies garage before, but I've got her at my place so I can try to work this out.

From all the info I've found through this fantastic site and its members, I think I'm supposed to check the valves and service/replace the petcock next. Am I on the right track? Any input is greatly appreciated.

Comment

I'm having a somewhat similar issue with my new GS450LX. Just got the bike on Sunday and somehow failed to notice it when I was testing it out, but it idles at 4k with the choke all the way off. I thought maybe the choke was just all the way on, but I tried pushing the lever down and that revved to 6k pretty quick. It also backfires after I turn it off. I turn it off using the kill switch, not the key.

This is my first "real" bike (I own a 150cc scooter, too) and I'm hesitant to start troubleshooting, but it seems like the air filter is probably the easiest thing to check, so I thought I would start there. I've never worked on a car/bike/lawnmower before - on Saturday, I couldn'tve pointed to the carbs on my bike, much less told you what they did or how they work. I changed the oil on my scooter last week and was really proud of myself. That's the level I"m at.

I'm currently working off the assumption that my fuel-air mixture is too rich, which (apparently) means I'm either getting not enough air (dirty air filter, leak in lines, loose hose...?) or too much fuel (throttle has play, and I've played with the choke to no avail - maybe idle screw, or... dirty... carb? I really don't know.) but am not sure which.

So I'm thinking air filter, then run some carb cleaner in with the gas as a starting point. Soon as I get my hands on a compatible oil filter, I'll swap the oil out just for good measure.

Comment

Working...
                    X