Breather Filter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Breather Filter

So I dont have a factory airbox. My breather hose comes off the motor and just hangs over my pods. Should I get a pod filter for that hose? Is it necessary? I saw one that was K&N on Z1 for $21 or something like that.

I would say depending on how picky your inspection folks are or how thorough they are you may want to pick one up. You don't have to get a really nice one, just pick one up from a local auto parts store that will fit the hose.

Comment

you could add a filter, or get a longer pipe and re route it so it hangs down just behind the engine, or into a catch tank if you like
      Last edited by Agemax; 06-02-2011, 04:17 AM. Reason: misread first post
      1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

I can't imagine having a motorcycle inspection, that's crazy!

Comment

They used to have (vehicle) inspections in Florida, Motorcycles were not exempt. I used to have to put my front wheel in the brake testing two rollers and they would start it and the rollers and front wheel would go spinning, once it reached a certain speed then they told me to hit the brake and the bike would jump 5 feet out of the rollers, then they did it for the rear, I was a kid then, but it was kinda dangerous, small bike though, not like a 1100. Then they stopped vehicle inspections altogether.
          Breather hoses, whenever I got a new bike (new 2 me that is), one of the things I would do is get a new breather hose and run it from the engine where it comes out of the head down behind the rear wheel, then I would plug the hole where it fed into the breather box. Just the thought of hot oil being sucked into my carbs made me mad, so that is how I dealt with it.
          Since that time I guess I just learned to live with it.
          But I often think of doing it again, I believe the bike would have to run better than to have old emission gases, which contain acids, dirt, etc. sucked down the carbs.
          sigpic
          Steve
          "The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page."

Comment

yeah i'll just keep my eye out for a k&n knockoff

Comment

Originally posted by gs1000emt View Post
              Why not the real deal for $20 shipped? You can't be that cheap.

Comment

Originally posted by gs1000emt View Post
                I used one of these on my 1100EX. Just attached right off the breather port on top of the valve cover. You can't see it.

They come in a few different colors - available on the shelf at your local Autozone...

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/acc...ier=266500_0_0_
                '85 GS550L - SOLD
                '85 GS550E - SOLD
                '82 GS650GL - SOLD
                '81 GS750L - SOLD
                '82 GS850GL - trusty steed
                '80 GS1100L - son's project bike
                '82 GS1100G - SOLD
                '81 GS1100E - Big Red (daily rider)

Comment

Working...
                X