Gas Tank

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gas Tank

Ok, I gotta get this bike running so I'm dying to finish it. Sat 9 years. This is my first bike. So I need to tackle my rusty tank. Ive been reading on here for days and there are wonderful threads especially Basscliff's. Ive decided the evaporust is not in my budget so I'm going to go the vinegar and roofing nails route. I'm then going to seal it with the caswell sealer. My only ? is what to use to seal up all the holes(gas cap, petcock, sending unit). I saw the pipe cap idea and I like that but I'm on a super budget and was wondering if any of you guys used anything else just laying around your garages?

Quality duct tape.
    85 GS1150E May '06 BOM
    79 GS1000S Wes Cooley Beast

Comment

ah ha. how bout gorilla tape? or is that too strong?

Comment

I've tried duct before and it leaked. I recommend fabricating some positive stoppers, examples shown below.

Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

I stopped by Auto Zone(today as a matter of fact) and picked up a couple of expansion plugs.
          One 1-5/8 to 1-3/4 and one 1-3/4 to 1-7/8. I had to ask as they were behind the counter. Both of em were $7.36.
          Used old inner tube rubber cut to size and a peice of wood(paint stir stick, lol) for the petcock hole. Also used rolled up inner tube for the little cap cutouts on the edges of the tank filler hole. Everything is sealed up fine. Only thing I worry about is the sealed tank may build some pressure depending on what you're sealing in there.
          Hope this helps.

Last edited by Octain; 06-01-2011, 04:19 PM.
          sigpic

82 GS850
          78 GS1000
          04 HD Fatboy

...............................____
          .................________-|___\____
          ..;.;;.:;:;.,;.|__(O)___|____/_(O)|

Comment

Whenever I've used vinegar I just seal off the tap and fuel sender - leave the filler cap off and just fill to the brim (got to get the tank angled right). And I wouldn't put nails or anything similar in there (bugger to get the last ones out).

The trick to stop flash rusting I've found is to pour around 75% of the vinegar out and pull the tap seal off. While doing this stick a garden hose in the filler and run the water flat out. When the last bit of mucky crap comes out and you're just left with clear running water (takes some time) turn off the hose and let the water run out of the tap hole while squirting WD40 in from the filler.

Cheapest place to buy vinegar over here is Asda (UK equivalent of Walmart). Bizarrely much cheaper to buy it in their 1/2 pint bottle than in a gallon can, I have had to buy their entire shelf load every time. Worth it though, as when the girl on the till asks you what you're up to you can tell her you're making a bomb / going to poison the reservoir or whatever grumpy old man mischief you can think of....
            79 GS1000S
            79 GS1000S (another one)
            80 GSX750
            80 GS550
            80 CB650 cafe racer
            75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
            75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

I'm trying to remove an old liner with thinner so I have to rotate the tank. Which requires it being sealed.
              Gonna do vinigar when I get this done.
              Coat it with two cycle oil to prevent flash rusting.

Not gonna line it.
              When I get this one done I have two more to go.(to sell)
              sigpic

82 GS850
              78 GS1000
              04 HD Fatboy

Comment

Food for thought.

Comment

Originally posted by cal_look_zero View Post

Been keeping up with that one too.
                  sigpic

82 GS850
                  78 GS1000
                  04 HD Fatboy

Comment

wow. lots of great ideas. thanks. guess ill get the expansion plugs.

Comment

Working...
                    X