No announcement yet.

I think I ruined a VM29 body

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I possibly could get access to a drill press, but i'm not familiar with a time-sert. I assume it would be similar to a helicoil? Enlighten me.

Comment

If you try heat just remember it shouldn't take that much. No need to get it glowing or near the point of melting. Just need to get her warm enough to break whatever bond is holding it. Good luck with that stubborn mule.

Comment

Mostly what I have found is, the paint used to seal the screws in place makes the screws a bit hard to remove. heat it, make the paint soft and then unscrew it.

YMMV...
        De-stinking Penelope http://thegsresources.com/_forum/sho...d.php?t=179245

http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...35#post1625535

Comment

Steve - if you need a new carb body, I have some spares, most likely including a No. 1 body. I am in the city, so hit me offline if you want to grab one. I also have an assortment of jets, etc. Basically, I scooped up a couple of carb sets on eBay for cheap and salvage them for parts.

HTH

Comment

Originally posted by Stev0 View Post
            I possibly could get access to a drill press, but i'm not familiar with a time-sert. I assume it would be similar to a helicoil? Enlighten me.

Same Idea, Just a bit more modern design that wont thread out. Although I've never personally seen a properly installed helicoil back out...

Comment

Cant help with the jet but I wouldn't bother going to CV's and a new airbox. Your better off trying to find a VM or bank of VM's.

Good luck.

Comment

CVs on a '79 750? Standard is VM26s if you want to go back to standard.
                79 GS1000S
                79 GS1000S (another one)
                80 GSX750
                80 GS550
                80 CB650 cafe racer
                75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
                75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

So along with the CV's and Airbox you'll need a different throttle control body and handle bar unit to take single cable than the VM's twin cable.

Comment

ok, VM26s it is, I was going by memory and after reading about all these different bikes I must have gotten mixed up, thanks for the correction. I still want to find a VM29 body, contacting MisterCinders now.

Comment

Working...
                    X