1983 GS550 with Uni Pod air filters

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1983 GS550 with Uni Pod air filters

A bit of information for anyone wishing to install Uni foam air filters on a GS550 L.
    I s-canned the air box, fitted two 4" uni filters to the rubber tubes that normally connect between the air box and the carbs. To attach and seal the joint between the tubes and filter I used stainless sheet metal screws. It takes some persistance to fit the tubes to the carbs so that they won't fall off using hose clamps but it can be done.
    When I first installed the filters the bike was so lean it would not run. I ended up increasing the size of the main jets 5 sizes and increased the pilot jets 1 size. Pilot screws adjusted 4 full turns out.

How's it run at idle? The dynojet kit uses the stock pilot jets and a set of adjustable reshaped needle jets in conjunction with the "big opening" main jets...

The PO that had my '83 550E had +5 pilots, stock turn outs on the mix screws, the adjustabl needles and only +2 on the main jets.

I fiddled with it for a year before I set it back to stock and then put a dynojet kit in it.

Comment

Idle

The bike idles well once it is warm. You have to run for a couple of full min. with the choke closed (enrichment valves open) For the first couple of hundred yards the throttle is a bit soft. Once up to temp it runs great and idles at 1000 RPM when you come to a stop.
      Your note reminded me that I also raised the needles by one shim. It is possible that going one more size on the pilots and turning the pilot screws in might be an improvment. I decided to leave well enough alone.
      I first experimented with a +3 main jet change, it allowed the bike to run but it was very lean.

Comment

Working...
      X