How to remove VM mounting plate

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to remove VM mounting plate

Hey, i have a 1979 GS850 and i am trying to clean out the carbs, but i cant seem to remove the mounting plate. i Took out the 8 screws holding the plate to the carb bodies but cant seem to get the plate over the carb outlet because it can only pivot on the shaft going through each carb, help please!

You have to open up the carbs, remove the choke and throttle shafts, then it will come off.

Comment

okay thanks ill give it another try, i just read this:
      "1. Remove the screws holding the carb bodies to the mounting plate and remove the plate." and assumed it would just come off haha

Comment

Not so easy unfortunately. What are you doing? Just taking them off, or pulling them to dip and rebuild?

Comment

Im still stuck, i opened the tops of the each carb and unbolted the part that connects to the throttle shaft, still wont slide out, throttle is also unbolted, just doesnt want to move

Comment

dip and rebuild

Comment

You have to take the tops off of the carbs, remove the bolts on the bell cranks and the bolt on the throttle crank, remove the shaft, and also the choke lever and shaft assembly before they will come apart. Mark the carbs left to right 1-4 with the engine side forward. keep all the parts for each carb together, don't mix them up. A coffee can for each carb numbered for the carb would be good. When going back together, the screws you just took out of the plate are the last thing to put in after the rack is assembled again. There is an alignment clip held on with a Phillips screw that also has to come off the shaft before it will slide out. Sounds like you might need to get some help with this. Might help to put in your location.
              Last edited by OldVet66; 06-21-2011, 11:40 PM.
              '78 GS1000E, Dyna-S ignition, Dyna Green Coils, K&N pods, Delkevic SS 4-1 exhaust, Dynojet Stage 3 jet kit, Russell SS Brake Lines, Progressive suspension, Compu-Fire series Regulator 55402 and Advmonster cree LED headlight conversion.

Comment

great thanks a lot, looks like it was just one screw i was missing, hiding under all that grime, now the problem is i cant get the shaft through i noticed there are a few nicks on it and that seems to be where its getting stuck. Should i use a small file to get in there and sand them down or is that a bad idea?

Comment

TA DA! thanks cal and vet, got the shaft out , hope no one tells me that the file was a bad idea

Comment

Nah. The shaft is one of few carb parts that you can "convince" without serious repercussions.

Make sure you order the cycle o rings kit, and get the manifold o rings as well. I have a 79 850 as well, and that kit made my life about 79,850 times easier.

Comment

is the o ring kit for the jets and needles or just the carb boots? i broke a few washers trying to get them off but i don't want to buy all new rebuild kits, ill have to go though and se what is still good any maybe i can get away with only 3? If i need to buy rebuild kits i might just go dyno stage 3 and get pods, what is your bike set up like?

Comment

Source the parts. You don't want to go the pod route unless you know what you are doing, or can find someone to hold your hand, through the process.

Yeah...if you want to...I'll hold your hand.

By the way: the DJ stage #3 is for pods and a 4-1 exhaust...

Comment

If you're going to get into them at all, just do everything.

Look on the greeting for the cycle o rings link. Order the VM carb kit, the VM o ring kit, and the intake manifold screws. Should run you about $35 shipped, but it's all the o rings you'll need to rebuild the carbs right.

I bought that kit to replace the gaskets. No leaks as of yet, and can't beat the price.

$50 for parts and shipping between the 2, but the piece of mind of all new soft parts on the carbs is well worth it.

I'll be running 110 main jets and pod filters. The bike is running, but not street legal at the moment, so I can't yet say how well it runs.

Comment

okay yeah i think all my jets and needles are fine, they are swimming in carb dip right now, i did however lose the spacer washer on the choke for one of the carbs, anyone know what the best route to get that replaced is? yeah that is a good price, thanks for the heads up, i would like to go pods i think i guess i would just need to find a 4-1 then for relatively cheap otherwise back to the box, the PO lost the covers and it just looks kind of dumb with a metal plate screwed on and the air box sticking out.

Comment

Dave thanks for the offer, i will take you up on that if i find some 4-1, is there a DJ kit for just pods? if so is that worth it, or not much gain? would i able to add a 4-1 to that after?

Comment

Working...
                              X