Airbox Top & Bottom Pieces

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Airbox Top & Bottom Pieces

Has anyone ever noticed that the airbox comes in two parts? And has anyone ever had trouble with the two halves not sealing well?

I have an 81 GS1000GL, and have been having trouble getting the carbs tuned. It seems to be acting pretty lean. However, boots on both sides are brand new. O-rings in and out are new too. Also, new weatherstripping where the airbox side covers go.

Then I remember separating the airbox when I first got the bike (3 years ago) and cleaning it. The bottom is made of metal, but the top is plastic and had some light warping. When I put it back together, it seemed as though there wasn't a good seal between the top and bottom sections.

So this evening I laid a bead of black RTV where the top and bottom join, and tomorrow I'll see if this helps me finally get my carbs dialed in.

By any chance, has anyone else experienced any of this?

Thanks in advance.

Yep, there are several threads addressing this very topic...... But, it only applies to '81 and later airboxes the way I understand it, although my '81 parts 850G has the same one piece airbox as my '80 850L. Both my 1100s have the two piece airbox.

Comment

Working...
    X