79 gs850 running on 2 cylinders

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

79 gs850 running on 2 cylinders

hello all, i'm quite confused by this problem. i've been having charging issues with my bike, thought i had it fixed, and rode it all weekend no problems. i went to ride it yesterday and still had charging problems, but up until then, the actual bike ran great. today i went out to start it, and all of a sudden the right 2 cylinders don't seem to be firing. i'm thinking the compression is good, because its still spitting out cold puffs of air from the right tailpipe. i checked the spark on the outside cylinder, and i am getting spark, so where should i start? like i said, last time i rode it, it ran great. anyone have any ideas?

Bad compression on these bikes can be as high as 100psi honestly. I'd say that's more than enough to blow a puff or two out the pipes.

Fuel, spark, compression. You need those for a runner. check to see if your plugs are wet with fuel, if they are, pull the plugs, ground and check for spark, and then if you have that, lastly I would grab a compression gauge and do that check. That should give you an idea of what road to start heading down as far as trouble shooting.

Comment

We need more history

Did you clean your carbs?

Check your valves?

It sounds like rust or crud has gone into the #3 and #4 carbs, Try draining the gas out of the float bowls into a container and see if there's crud in it

Rust in the gas tank?

Vacuum line came off?
      1978 GS 1000 (since new)
      1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
      1978 GS 1000 (parts)
      1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
      1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
      1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
      2007 DRz 400S
      1999 ATK 490ES
      1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Originally posted by Big T View Post
        We need more history

Did you clean your carbs?

Check your valves?

It sounds like rust or crud has gone into the #3 and #4 carbs, Try draining the gas out of the float bowls into a container and see if there's crud in it

Rust in the gas tank?

Vacuum line came off?
        well i was looking for a place to start, and you just gave me that place! i don't know if i'll be able able to get to it before the weekend, but when i do i kind of have an idea now of where to go, thank you!

Comment

You can drain the carbs in 5 minutes
          1978 GS 1000 (since new)
          1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
          1978 GS 1000 (parts)
          1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
          1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
          1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
          2007 DRz 400S
          1999 ATK 490ES
          1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Working...
          X