Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bike in idle and rpm's go up and down then stall...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

thanks bietau

I have a 6" vernier caliper, is that what you mean?

Thanks for the tips going to do it now while it's still daylight.

Comment

I remember the first time i took out the carbs. it was a pain. I had no help as I did not know about this forum. I was in the dark until I got here. lol. I knew zilch about bikes. But yeah the caliper is good. you will want that for the floats. the specs to measure are off the gasket. So remember that or you will be off a about 1.3 to 1.5mm. Which is already putting you out of tolerance.

I also use Hoppes No.9 for cleaning the carb parts if they are not pitted up and are reusable... It works the best in my opinion. available wherever you can get a gun. lol. http://www.hoppes.com/products/solvents.html

Thi site has very inexpensive parts and are helpful. If they dont have they can get it. You can get new jets for $1.74 a piece http://www.z1enterprises.com/catalog.aspx?pid=SM000
      Last edited by Guest; 09-03-2011, 08:43 PM.

Comment

All very good stuff......but being female i'm not strong enuff to get the stoopid screws of the gang plate.

I got the carb off with very few curse words and too many people asking me what i was doing, but it's off. i have everything ready for the dip and i can't take it apart.

At least i know how to do it. for the next time, with a male friend hopefully. Shop down the street want s $260 to clean'em. Way to much to spend right now.

The boots are in need of replacement. but it too can wait.

Putting it back together in the morning~

Comment

Sorry..... I've calmed down now AZR

So i can answer your questions....

Thank you for the clarification on the "boots", very much appreciated. The boots are hard as rocks actually, not squishy at all. i doubt i will riding next week.......totally bummed.

Once again i will be waiting for parts. My roommate is getting annoyed with all the motorcycle stuff everywhere, lol, my only upside at the moment.

I will google the center stand, i mean floor stand stuff. It's a cruiser floor stand actually. My bike doesn't come with a center stand so i bought a floor stand.

maybe i can still dip tomorrow. Called some boys for help~

Comment

Oh and i forgot to ask...

Does anyone have the part number handy for the air box boots and the intake boots for the 1982 gs 850G?

I've looked and i'm not sure i would order the right one.

Thanks bunches!

Comment

Dont pay someone to do your carbs. it to easy and you have to learn at somepoint because you are gonna do it again. It is really simple after you do it once. Just get a table, clean it,sit down, tear apart. take pictures if you need to for memory. I do recommend going and getting stainless screws with the allen heads or whatever they call them. the Phillips screws like to strip and in your case are hard to remove. the stainless is cheap and nice and more torque without stripping on teardowns. I got them for 3 cents a piece at my hardware store. And when you dip that is an overnight thing not a dip and go deal.

Remember as you put these carbs back together, Bench sync, bench sync, bench sync, bench sync. You will be taking these back off if you forget. Then Sync using the manometer, then Highest rpm test. Then check plug color using plug chops. Read bikecliffs tutorials. Dont skip through and just do it verbatim

Comment

http://www.z1enterprises.com/detail.aspx?ID=4538 intake boots to head.
                You might be able to find thes cheaper, try the parts wanted forum, you never know.
                Call Z1 or email the for the airbox boots as i dont see them listed. They wil find em. They are an excellent company. For future reference use your typing skills to get around the web for parts and part numbers,you will find what you need.

Comment

Hi,

Originally posted by Dmajiq View Post
                  Does anyone have the part number handy for the air box boots and the intake boots for the 1982 gs 850G?
                  THIS PDF FILE should show you how to use an online parts fiche to look up part numbers. I don't recommend buying from alpha-sports.com because they are so expensive. I like partshark.com, z1enterprises.com, gssuzuki.com, partsnmore.com and a couple others. See the vendor list in your "mega-welcome".

Hint: Look on the "cylinder head" page to find the intake boots (the parts fiche calls them "intake pipes".)

As far as how to repair your intake system, have a look at this PDF file:

Air Intake Repair: (Airbox removal, intake boots and O-ring replacement)

You'll find lots of GS850G lovin' on my website. Some parts won't be exactly the same because a few things changed in '82. Keep us informed.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

BassCliff

Comment

Okay sounds good

Bietau85 i have a manometer too for the bench synch, which i know as a carb sync. So many multiple names for things....

And Basscliff i have printed out your pdf files already and read the welcome a few times over.

I'm definitely not trying to go halfway with this. I like to do things right the first time. It's becoming increasingly clear that this bike was neglected and i want to strangle the guy i bought it from. Jerk.

it's a good bike, just needs tlc.

I do like the idea of the allen wrench screws, So i guess i will hit up Robert Barr again for those. I saw them when i got the o-rings.

Thank you for the clarification Basscliff on the intake pipes. That's exactly what i saw and was totally confused from. Again multiple names for the same thing.

Anyway this will have to wait some more. I'm outta cash and have to wait to order parts. *sigh* i hate waiting~

OH! Unless is it possible for me to take the carbs apart but leave the gang plate if i can still get to everything else?

Comment

Originally posted by Dmajiq View Post
                      Bietau85 i have a manometer too for the bench synch, which i know as a carb sync. So many multiple names for things....
                      NO, The manometer is the sync, bench sync is completely different. That is after you put the carbs back together before putting them back on the bike? EX: measuring floats and opening the throttles all evenly. It is also on BikeCliffs site under Carbs.

Comment

Oh okay

Thanks for the clarification bietau85.

Comment

Hi,

Yes, bench synchronization is an "eyeball" adjustment to get the butterfly valves close enough for the engine to run. A "vacuum synchronization" with a manometer is a finer adjustment to make sure the carbs are all drawing the same volume and the butterfly valves and slides are all doing the same amount of work, delivering the same fuel/air mixture to all the cylinders. This really smooths out the engine helping to take away the "buzzy-ness".

BassCliff

Comment

thank you basscliff

Haven't heard from any of my guys.

putting the carburetor back on for now. will try again another time

Comment

Working...
                            X