Even if you are in a hurry......

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Even if you are in a hurry......

Wear safety glasses!!! I learned this first-hand today while cleaning my carbs. I was giving them a quick spray before I left for work and was not paying attention. As I started to spray out some of the holes, I had the carbs turned in such a way that it directed a steady stream of carb cleaner directly into my eye. Man does that s**t burn!! After much cursing, I cleaned my eye the best I could rinsing it with cool water. Just thought I would share my bad experience.

Now, on with my question. I am also stripping the paint from my carbs. Once the stripper has done it's job, can I rinse the carbs with water to remove the paint and stripper from them? I know to be careful not to let any of the crap get inside them and since they are aluminum they won't rust, just wasn't sure if water is the best choice.

If you only cleaned your carbs using spray cleaner, then they most likely are not clean...

Best to completely disassemble them & dip 'em. New rubber bits from here are also what you need:

'85 GS550L - SOLD
    '85 GS550E - SOLD
    '82 GS650GL - SOLD
    '81 GS750L - SOLD
    '82 GS850GL - trusty steed
    '80 GS1100L - son's project bike
    '82 GS1100G - SOLD
    '81 GS1100E - Big Red (daily rider)

Comment

Yes, I am going to dip them, I was just giving them a quick spray down with carb cleaner as I was disassembling them. I still need to strip the rest of the paint off before I dip them.

Comment

I got squirted in the eye with heavy duty brake fluid last month.

That stuff just keeps burning like acid.

Atleast carb cleaner stops burning fast, lol.

Comment

The carb dip will strip most of the paint off for you. I would wait until after. I have done 2 sets of black carbs that way and it works great. One more set to go.

Comment

My local shop has a product I think is called Yamalube? Does that work well?

Comment

Berrymans is the most widely available product

Any car parts store has it
              1978 GS 1000 (since new)
              1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
              1978 GS 1000 (parts)
              1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
              1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
              1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
              2007 DRz 400S
              1999 ATK 490ES
              1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Pete used Yamalube on his 450 project.Worked for him.He's in Aus and like Canada you can't get Berrymans.

Comment

Ok, thanks for the info. I will check and see if Berryman's is cheaper than the Yamalube if they both work equally well. Also, I posted before but had no replies yet. Can I cold water rinse the carbs after I am done Stripping / Dipping?

Comment

Use any temperature water you want. Personally, I use HOT water, as it will tend to keep any foreign material in a more-flexible state. I also keep my water a bit hotter than most, so that helps a bit, too. I think the HOT water also dries off quicker, but after the dip and rinse is when I attack the carbs with a little bit of carbs cleaner spray and compressed air, so I don't really know how long it takes them to dry.

sigpic
                    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                    Family Portrait
                    Siblings and Spouses
                    Mom's first ride
                    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

I will try the hot water, makes sense about the particles and drying quicker. I can blow them out at work with an air gun and I was planning to spray with carb cleaner as well.

The diaphragm for the slide/piston assemblies don't have any cracks, tears or holes, but the material feels really dry. Almost doesn't even feel like rubber. Are they supposed to be like that or is there something I can treat them with so they are more pliable?

Comment

Washed out the Skunk carbs it water and Simple Green,they looked OK:

Polished thing a little to

Comment

Originally posted by SVSooke View Post
                          Washed out the Skunk carbs it water and Simple Green,they looked OK
                          Be careful with Simple Green, it will attack the aluminum if left in contact for a while.
                          '85 GS550L - SOLD
                          '85 GS550E - SOLD
                          '82 GS650GL - SOLD
                          '81 GS750L - SOLD
                          '82 GS850GL - trusty steed
                          '80 GS1100L - son's project bike
                          '82 GS1100G - SOLD
                          '81 GS1100E - Big Red (daily rider)

Comment

Originally posted by hikermikem View Post
                            Be careful with Simple Green, it will attack the aluminum if left in contact for a while.
                            Sprayed on then immediately washed off.Think I'm OK.

Comment

Working...
                            X