Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Help identifying the Carbs on my GS850 GG 1986 (European)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Does anyone have anything particular to say about fuel filters?
    I have one, but it might be pretty old, so I'm thinking of changing it.

There are a few options here at Z1
    Z1 Enterprises specializes in quality Motorcycle parts for Honda, Kawasaki, Suzuki and Yamaha Classic Japanese motorcycles from the 1970's and 1980's.

Any thoughts on which to choose? Or are they all pretty much the same.

Also, there are some Jet plugs on ebay at a third the price of Z1
    Are they ok, or poorer quality?

Z1 Enterprises specializes in quality Motorcycle parts for Honda, Kawasaki, Suzuki and Yamaha Classic Japanese motorcycles from the 1970's and 1980's.

thanks

Comment

Hi,

If your fuel system is clean there is no need for an inline fuel filter. They can cause fuel starvation, even the gravity feed filters. I know that many members use them, but they are unnecessary and introduce an extra point of failure. Do you suspect your fuel to be dirty? Is your gas tank rusty?

The cheap rubber plugs will be OK.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Ok, I'll check out the tank.

Comment

Originally posted by BassCliff View Post
          Keep us informed
          Well the parts are ordered.
          Both sets of boots, o-rings, fasteners, jet plugs
          Also airfilter
          And also petcock and o-ring, as mine's leaking.

But the parts won't arrive till early Dec
          Funny, I feel like I've got nothing to do with myself now.

I myself won't be doing the work, but I hope the mechanic will let me watch.

The original observation that led to this work was a badly running carburettor and a petrol leak discovered the morning after my first ride, emerging from the bottom of the airbox housing. On disconnecting the fuel hose from the petcock the petcock was seen to be leaking. So in addition to that, it was surmised that the carb floats are not working properly possibly due to dirt in the carbs.

So a full carb cleanout and petcock replacement was decided.

Sound fair?

Comment

Why can't you do the work yourself instead of just throwing your money away and HOPING the other guy does know what he's doing well enough to do it right?
            Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
            1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
            2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
            Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
            and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

I can't do that work.
              Not yet at least.
              I've never done any serious mechanics and a carb clean and tune is too advanced for me. I don't even have a place to work.

What's the problem anyway? We can't all be mechanics. Most people give their vehicles to mechanics to repair, so that's what I'm doing too. I reached him through recommendations. Several.

I'd like to work on the bike myself sometime, but some jobs are too big, and meanwhile I want the bike on the road as soon as possible.
              Last edited by Guest; 11-13-2011, 11:09 AM.

Comment

Hi,

Most of us on the forum are skeptical when it comes to bike mechanics because we've either had a bad experience or heard so many horror stories about "professionals" who don't fix things correctly and end up doing more harm than good. I know there are good mechanics out there, but it seems they are few and far between. These are old bikes and most mechanics just don't know (or don't care) what it takes to do the job properly.

I would suggest that you print out the carb cleaning guides, air intake repair, carb sync, etc, from my website and give them to your mechanic as reference. If he doesn't clean the carbs properly your bike will never run right.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Ok. I'll do that.
                  Last edited by Guest; 11-14-2011, 03:16 AM.

Comment

Well I finally received the parts and had the carbs cleaned.
                    The bike feels a whole lot better that's for sure, but other problems have now been identified.
                    So I'm going to be posting a few questions about compression.

Thanks for all your help folks.

Comment

Working...
                    X