California Carbs 1984 GS550EF

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

California Carbs 1984 GS550EF

I am trying to get some info on my carbs There are four ports on these carbs that look like vacuum ports. Hoses are attached and run to a tee fitting with one outlet back to a cannister under the seat fairing in behind the tailight. I have removed these hoses and capped the ports. I have now a fuel line, vacuum line an two vent hoses . Does this sound right ? I downloaded an 83GS550e manual and it does not cover a Ca setup . Help please.

Where on carbs did these hoses connect- my son's ninja (CA model) had system to capture fuel tank fumes and sent them to carbs.
    1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

I used the parts diagram(CA carbs page) from a dealer parts search, like boulovard suzuki. I printed the page and added it to my manual.

Comment

Hi,

Your carbs have a breather system, which you have disabled. I've never worked on the siamese carbs so all I can do is reference the available material. Forgive the large pictures but perhaps they will give you the detail you need.

From the manual:

From the parts fiche:

I hope this helps. Perhaps someone with a later 550 can confirm whether or not you have 2 fuel and 2 vacuum hoses that are T'd into the petcock.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff
        Last edited by Guest; 02-01-2012, 08:06 PM.

Comment

Thanks for the help. I capped the Ca stuff. Kept the breather hoses, and petcock, vacuum and fuel . Had pair of plug wires crossed now it starts and runs. Always look for the simple stuff , I never learn this for some reason

Comment

Cal carb

I bought one of these carbs for a Canadian bike and will be using it this spring. My question is though, if you block these off are you not disturbing an air circuit that is open during operation. Are these tank vapors taken into account during design and jet sizes based on this . Do you need to rejet to avoid a lean condition? Ideas,thoughts and comments please

Comment

I am not sure but I think the California bikes had an evap canister and thus the extra plumbing.

Comment

The bike seems to run pretty good with all the smog stuff plugged and yes there is a canister under the rear seat cowl where the tool pouch is

Comment

aside from the canister the carbs would probably have a different jetting.

Comment

Another silly idea from the CARB people in Kalifornia. They want catalytic converters on lawn mowers and leaf blowers too.
                    1981 GS650G , all the bike you need
                    1980 GS1000G Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely

Comment

Working...
                    X