Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

For those with pods - what to do with breather hose?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by cableguy View Post
    ... I don't want even the chance of blowby vapors from my 28 year old motor of getting in my carbs. ...
    My opinion is that if you have that much blow-by, you have other things you should be worrying about. In a healthy engine, there will be very little coming through that hose.

My son's 650 is the only bike we have with pods, I put a longer hose on, much like you did.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
      My opinion is that if you have that much blow-by, you have other things you should be worrying about. In a healthy engine, there will be very little coming through that hose.

My son's 650 is the only bike we have with pods, I put a longer hose on, much like you did.

That's true, I guess my choice is based more on preference on than thinking it's the ONLY way to do it. Plus it's just easier

Comment

Looks like my last post didn't make it up here.

I'll summarize.

I do intend to do something other than feed it back into the carbs but my point was that it is likely not unhealthy and the vacuum caused by the carbs may even be beneficial to the overall vacuum/timing for the crank.

Way I see it there are three options other than leaving the hose dangling.

1. Install a PCV Valve (but I'm not sure about the right size for my 1100E, nor do there seem to be any dimensions on these online, just replacements for ones that have cross references to original parts).

There's an interesting video for a KLR650 I found here: http://car-mods.wonderhowto.com/how-...klr650-243655/

2. PCV Valve plus Air filter.
        Example: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Yamaha-XS650...99c769&vxp=mtr

3. Valve, filter and canister

Since I don't get a lot of junk coming out of my crank I feel that for me the canister is overkill.

I think I'm going to opt for #2 above but it's only about $10 in parts at the auto store, so I don't think I'm gonna shell out $40-$50 for his kit.

Comment

If I remember correctly, an automotive PCV valve requires a direct connection to an intake manfold to work properly.

I don't remember exactly when it opens up, but it has to do with vacuum levels. There are times that it is closed and other times that it is open.

The only problem with using a PCV valve is that each cylinder has its own runner, so adding a PCV valve would have affect just that one cylinder. Since it is downstream of the carb, any time the valve is open, it would lean out that cylinder ONLY. On a car, there is just one carburetor (back in the old days) that feeds a manifold. With fuel injected engines, the PCV valve would still be in a common manifold, between the throttle body and the intake runners.

I don't think that a PCV valve (with or without a filter) is the answer.

The canister idea is actually the more-practical one.

There is not a lot of vacuum in the airbox where the hose used to mount. The only vacuum level there is due to the restriction of the air filter, which might only be a problem at full throttle (maximum airflow). Any air flow in the breather tube is going to be due to a very SLIGHT pressure in the crankcase (I don't think it would be enough to measure), and any oil in the vapor is supposed to be caught by the mesh filters in the breather cover on top of the valve cover. What's left going through the hose should not cause any problems for the carbs, as it will be greatly diluted with all the incoming air from the filter.

sigpic
          mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
          hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
          #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
          #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
          Family Portrait
          Siblings and Spouses
          Mom's first ride
          Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
          (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

I'm not sure I understand the "each cylinder has its own runner comment"?
            On our bikes, aren't we talking about a singular OUT from the Crankcase?

I'm still at a little bit of a loss about what I should be doing 'to dangle or not to dangle'. So far I've yet to see any data about something pulling vacuum making the bike operate more smoothly but for some reason I guess the theory sounds like it could make sense.

From your perspective, why is the canister any better (from a vacuum perspective) than just the breather and filter?

If you think the breather won't 'activate' on the bike that is obv a good question I think.

Thanks.

Comment

the thing is oil is heavy,with the original setup it drops into the airbox nd drains,if a plumbing setup like i did to the pods it adds suction and drops the oil itself to the bottom of the pod oiling it.
              It actualy worked very well and cured 99% of the oil leaks i had in doin this.It is behind the side panels on the gs1150 so no biggie to me.I thought it ingeniouse hehe.

Comment

Here is my set up and I have no issues with oil blow by.However,a good cross wind will cause my carbs to act up with the K&N lunch box filter,RU2970.I was once caught in a wind venturi effect between buildings.I was sitting at a red light.Every time a wind gust came through,my bike shut down like it was running out of fuel.Luckily,I was on a bit of a slope and rolled out into the intersection to restart.After scratching my head and riding in the wind with the bike acting up,I finally figured it out.

K&N 16-1320

Comment

i tried the same thing but anywhere the case seal was weak it leaked oil.i will take a pic n post what i did,it worked great

Comment

Originally posted by 5150/gs View Post
                    the thing is oil is heavy,with the original setup it drops into the airbox nd drains,if a plumbing setup like i did to the pods it adds suction and drops the oil itself to the bottom of the pod oiling it.
                    It actualy worked very well and cured 99% of the oil leaks i had in doin this.It is behind the side panels on the gs1150 so no biggie to me.I thought it ingeniouse hehe.
                    do you have a link to this pod plumbing? curious.

Comment

yuppers,had to upload here it is,cured 99% of my oil leaks at weakspots due to crankcase pressure.compression tests good,i don't use oil between changes,1500 mile,this was mu concoction cure if u may lol.

Comment

not pretty but it works

Comment

Originally posted by 5150/gs View Post
                          not pretty but it works
                          Just a four way splitter with tubing. nice.
                          I recall someone mentioning this in a thread about a one way crankcase pressure valve. It may have been you. The valve was like 100 bucks and I would prob never spring for that. This is a nice alternative. I dont know why it intrigues me so much
                          My breather tube does smoke lightly, I am just at about 500 miles on my rebuilt engine and I think it is going away. If I do this mod, I will surely post my results. Lower crankcase pressure= less backpressure on pistons and removing crankcase pressure. Fixing small current leaks and maybe preventing future ones. I love it.
                          My hose is currently just "hanging out" as I have pods. I am not sure what I will do yet. Always something to fiddle with thanks5150

Comment

Weird.I've never had a motorcycle that built up enough crankcase pressure to leak or even put oil out the crankcase vent.Sure there will be a very light mist from all the spinning internals,but nothing bad enough to form droplets.

Comment

U see i believe a p.o had my cases apart once,and did not seal it well enuff on reassembly,hence my leaks.have 1 left i cannot cure,going to split cases this winter and seal it up propper,all new gaskets n i will know whats inside and know more about my engine.But this setup i did helped greatly,and it cost me 4.85
                              But it was not me about the 100 dollar thingy,i woudl never spend that kinda money for something like that,too cheap to much enginuity here.

Comment

I am an old cheap retired guy. Used the oem hose, wraped 14" filter felt around the open end of the hose and zip tied it on. No mess no fuss and cleanable.
                                V
                                Gustov
                                80 GS 1100 LT, 83 1100 G "Scruffy"
                                81 GS 1000 G
                                79 GS 850 G
                                81 GS 850 L
                                83 GS 550 ES, 85 GS 550 ES
                                80 GS 550 L
                                86 450 Rebel, 70CL 70, Yamaha TTR125
                                2002 Honda 919
                                2004 Ural Gear up

Comment