What's hanging up?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What's hanging up?

1979 GS1000L...I tried like heck last night to get my carbs off so I can dip them and rebuild. Took my tank off, disconnected fuel line, disconnected throttle cables, got the clamps all loose, and I actually have the carbs "loose" from everything at an angle. I just can't get them out of the frame. The front is pointing up, and I have them clear of the carb boots and the airbox boots, but still can't get them out.

I had to walk away from it last night before my temper made me break something expensive. Am I missing something? I've read the carb rebuild tutorial on Cliff's site a few times. Maybe I just need to go have another look with a calmer eye.

Choke cable??

Comment

You're doing too much work

At this point, work the carbs so the intake side is down and the airbox side is up

Unbolt the airbox and slide back

The carbs will come out the right side

Don't take the cables off until they're out next time
      1978 GS 1000 (since new)
      1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
      1978 GS 1000 (parts)
      1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
      1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
      1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
      2007 DRz 400S
      1999 ATK 490ES
      1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Thanks guys. My old lady's dad came over and gave me a hand. He used to wrench on them back in the day so he showed me. I was trying to tip them the wrong way and pull them out the wrong side.

Comment

Hey Big T
          I did this yesterday.. but backwards. On a 1979 GS1000L.
          Out left side, intake up. Only took 1.25 hrs.

I will definately try to put them back your way.
          I'll let you know how much better it was.

UPDATE: the right side /left side didn't seem to make a difference during installation, but coming in with the air box side higher than the boots was key. And slathering all the rubber I could find with heavy silicone ( tire dressing).
          So, to repeat : ... "to remove, pull the AIRBOX side up until the air horns release from boots, then pull crabs backwards from motor and keep them slanted foreward while sliding them out of rt side" ???
          Either way, I hope I never have to do this again.
          Last edited by exdirtbiker; 10-20-2012, 12:38 PM.
          1980 GS1000G - The Beast - GOING... GOING... yup, it's gone. I'm bikeless !!! GAaaahh !!!
          1978 KZ1000C1 Police - GONE !
          1983 GPZ750, aka ZX750A1 - restored, fresh paint... Gave it back, it was a loaner !!!
          Check My Albums for some of the 30+ headaches I've dealt with

I know -JUST- enough to make me REALLY dangerous !

Comment

A full year later, bike still not on the road...
            Well, I had to do it again.
            I ignored what I wrote last time.
            and Big T saved me another major headache, they were out in 2 minutes by his method.
            Thanks !
            1980 GS1000G - The Beast - GOING... GOING... yup, it's gone. I'm bikeless !!! GAaaahh !!!
            1978 KZ1000C1 Police - GONE !
            1983 GPZ750, aka ZX750A1 - restored, fresh paint... Gave it back, it was a loaner !!!
            Check My Albums for some of the 30+ headaches I've dealt with

I know -JUST- enough to make me REALLY dangerous !

Comment

Working...
            X