Intake Air Box Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Intake Air Box Question

Hey this is what some previous owner did to the airbox. Looks like a K&N drop-in car intake filter. So obviously there are no specs for an a$$hole-rigged intake. Not to mention that the sealant that holds the filter in is cracking, there is no filter after that just straight to the carbs. Jets are 105.

Here are some photos...

let me know what you think!

Hi,

Let me get this straight.

This is the back of the airbox?

And this is the front?

That, my friend, is messed up. You can either A) repair the leaks and jet for what you have, B) find a good used airbox and put everything back to stock, C) install some good K&N pods and get a jet kit, tune as necessary.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Redneck ingenuity, what a novel idea! Actually I think that is a fram car filter. Now if we could adjust the flow in some way to get it correct, I would say we wouldn't have to re jet it .
      Personally, I return it back to original and be done with it.
      sigpic
      Steve
      "The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page."

Comment

save the air filter for a mid 80's Toyota!

Comment

Yes, BassCliff, the filter is on the back facing the rear. Also, are the K&N pods superior or is it preference?

Does anyone know what my stock jet size is or can you direct me to a chart or something. Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by Icculus88 View Post
            Yes, BassCliff, the filter is on the back facing the rear. Also, are the K&N pods superior or is it preference?
            It is common knowledge the K&N pod filters are the standard. The APE filters are OK too. Do not use the cheap EMGO pod filters.

Does anyone know what my stock jet size is or can you direct me to a chart or something. Thanks!
            Do you really have to ask?

Suzuki GS Series Carb Specs

I'll bet you can find a manual for your bike on that site too.

BassCliff

Comment

thanks again BassCliff. Looks like stock mains are 100 and someone put in some 105's. Coulda been the potato head that modified the airbox.

Comment

Hi,

Looks like stock mains are 100 and someone put in some 105's. Coulda been the potato head that modified the airbox.
                Could be. The mains were probably bumped up a couple of sizes to compensate for the extra air. Since you've got VM carbs you probably don't really need a jet kit because you already have slotted jet needles. If you do install pod filters you will have to run some plug chops to be sure all the circuits are set to the proper air/fuel mixture.

BassCliff
                Last edited by Guest; 04-30-2012, 07:22 PM.

Comment

That is soooo messed up. What some people will do....

Hey this is what some previous owner did to the airbox. Looks like a K&N drop-in car intake filter. So obviously there are no specs for an a$$hole-rigged intake. Not to mention that the sealant that holds the filter in is cracking, there is no filter after that just straight to the carbs. Jets are 105.

Here are some photos...

let me know what you think!
                  sigpicMrBill Been a GSR member on and off since April 2002
                  1980 GS 750E Bought new in Feb of 1980
                  2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

Comment

Do you need a stock air box?
                    I just might have one.

Eric

Comment

Wow that is messed up! I had an air box problem also when I bought my bike. My bike would not go over 70mph no matter what I did, found out the idiot PO (starting to really hate that guy) had a fire in the airbox so my boots where barely open from being melted and the box its self is disfigured from it also, I have since replaced the boots but still have the same airbox.

Comment

Originally posted by kjsamm View Post
                        Wow that is messed up! I had an air box problem also when I bought my bike. My bike would not go over 70mph no matter what I did, found out the idiot PO (starting to really hate that guy) had a fire in the airbox so my boots where barely open from being melted and the box its self is disfigured from it also, I have since replaced the boots but still have the same airbox.
                        this same thing has happened to my recently purchased GS750!
                        Where did you end up purchasing the boots?
                        I'm also sending you a PM.

Comment

Working...
                        X