The vinegar rust removal paradox

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The vinegar rust removal paradox

I've been cleaning the rust out of my gas tank for nearly a week now. I really feel like I'm chasing my tail here because twice now I've had the inside of the tank looking clean and shiny only to have it rust up again as I flush it with water. I've followed every instruction to the word but keep ending up with ferocious re rusting and it is becoming a real headache. Just to clarify; I've made positive stops for the petcock port and fuel inlet. I filled the tank with vinegar and a quarter to half cup of salt, let it set 24 hours. I then drain the vinegar(siphon through a towel into a five gallon bucket) immediately fill the tank with water and baking soda to neutralize the acid... Let sit fifteen minutes, flush with water for a good ten to fifteen minutes. Drain as much water as possible. I then added a little rubbing alcohol to get rid of any remaining water, swish it around vigorously, drain it, look inside the tank and it's plagued with rust again. ?

Why are you adding salt to the mix?
    Have you tried mixing some 2-stroke oil (several ounces perhaps a pint) with a gallon of gas and swishing it around to stop the rust?

Eric

Comment

Using acid will always lead to flash rusting...
      There are better methods.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Soon as you rinse it, tape a hair dryer or the exhaust side of a shop vac to the filler hole and dry it as quickly as possible. Then use a mix of a pint of gas and 3 ore 4 ounces of 2 cycle oil and swish it around to coat the inside against new rust forming.
        MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
        1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Originally posted by 7981GS View Post
          Why are you adding salt to the mix?
          Have you tried mixing some 2-stroke oil (several ounces perhaps a pint) with a gallon of gas and swishing it around to stop the rust?

Eric
          I added salt because I read that it creates a slightly stronger acid that works a little harder and a little faster. I will try the two cycle method after this next waiting game.

Comment

The way i found to stop flash rusting is to empty the vinegar (neat vinegar - nothing mixed with it) then immediately fill with water from a hose and just leave the hose running to flush the gunge out. Stop the hose and pull off the tap and as the water comes out blast the inside of the tank with WD40 (as soon as the water has dropped an inch start the WD40 blasting).
            79 GS1000S
            79 GS1000S (another one)
            80 GSX750
            80 GS550
            80 CB650 cafe racer
            75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
            75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

How many cans does this take?? Little premix for the weed whacker once its empty and dried is way cheaper I would think. But then again overseas your paying out the wazoo for petrol.
              1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Premix might be cheaper and I don't doubt that it works but WD40 is supposed to be (is?) a water dispersant and if you use a new can you get it to spray out as a mist so that it blankets everything. About half a can does the trick - so £2 -3.

What makes me laugh is that the cheapest way to buy vinegar that I have found is in half pint bottles from Asda (Walmart). You get some strange looks with 40 or 50 bottles in the shopping trolley - I always tell the checkout girl that mixed with orange juice it's a great way to get drunk......
                79 GS1000S
                79 GS1000S (another one)
                80 GSX750
                80 GS550
                80 CB650 cafe racer

Comment

Originally posted by hampshirehog View Post
                  Premix might be cheaper and I don't doubt that it works but WD40 is supposed to be (is?) a water dispersant and if you use a new can you get it to spray out as a mist so that it blankets everything. About half a can does the trick - so £2 -3.

What makes me laugh is that the cheapest way to buy vinegar that I have found is in half pint bottles from Asda (Walmart). You get some strange looks with 40 or 50 bottles in the shopping trolley - I always tell the checkout girl that mixed with orange juice it's a great way to get drunk......

I'll bet they try it too!

Eric

Comment

Just gas being a petroleum product will coat it. The only downfall ( same as with WD40 ) is that it drys and evaporates. The oil in the premix will be left behind when the gas evaporates. And if hes gonna use the tank right away, the little premix will be fine to run thru the carbs.

Comment

Why not just swish some kero or gas?
                      Never use water as there is little need if you do not put salt in the mix.

Your white vinegar is mostly water anyway.

An old guy hereabouts recommends horse iodine. Not the prissy stuff in a first aid kit but the kind used on hooves.

Comment

I would have told her this:

Originally posted by hampshirehog View Post
                        I always tell the checkout girl that mixed with orange juice it's a great aphrodisiac......

Comment

Originally posted by JEEPRUSTY View Post

An old guy hereabouts recommends horse iodine. Not the prissy stuff in a first aid kit but the kind used on hooves.
                          What does the iodine do, eat rust?
                          Or keep it from re rusting?

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
                            I would have told her this:
                            She would have replied affro - dizzy - wot? Our gorgeous Asda girls struggle wen the wurds have more than 2 silly bells in them
                            79 GS1000S
                            79 GS1000S (another one)
                            80 GSX750
                            80 GS550
                            80 CB650 cafe racer

Comment

As I'm on a strict wife imposed budget I will try some premix I have sitting around for my lawn equipment. Adding to the frustration is the fact that the rest of my bike is ready to rock. I soaked and scrubbed the bejesus out of the Carbs, new airbox boots, filter, and weatherstripped. The last piece of this part of the puzzle Is the tank. as soon as it's squared away I'm golden... With the exception of the carb boots to the engine. Wife says I have to wait for those. Thanks for all your suggestions guys!

Comment

Working...
                              X