Start-up idle issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Start-up idle issue

Now that I have sorted out the flooding issue, here is an oddity that doesn't make sense.

When I first start the bike after sitting for more than a few hours, overnight etc., she's a little testy. With a bit of choke she fires up and idles a bit choppy while ostensibly warming up. More choke will raise the RPMs, and cutting the choke drops them. Like it should. Throttle with the choke on causes it to stumble a bit.

Even after several minutes of warming up, it tries to fold on me if I cut the choke. But here is the weird part, if I blip the throttle between cutting the choke and the engine folding, it revs and then settles into a nice idle. Thereafter, it will start right up, like a well-behaved warmed up bike.

Basically, it seems like a solid rev to 2,500-3,000 without choke clears some kind of obstacle in the warm up process that merely idling with the choke (even at higher RPMs) never seems to break through.

The dependence on choke normally means the idle circuit is too lean, but once I coax it through the initial start up, the engine idles fine, perhaps still a hair on the rich side.

Unless it is a sign of some deeper problem, this starting hiccup is just a mild annoyance. Warming the engine on choke for a minute is generally enough to prep the bike for the blip through. It just puzzles me that warming the bike on choke for several minutes won't get it over the hump unless I do the blip.

Any ideas?

This doesn't sound so abnormal to me, but certainly more prone on Suzukis, all of which seem to be cold blooded.

I let my bike warm up on choke for 30 - 60 seconds, longer in very cold weather. I keep the idle speed down to no more than 1500 rpm by decreasing choke as it surges. Then I ride away gently, letting the engine continue to warm up. When I'm on a nice section of road and can keep a steady 20 - 30 mph, I gently ease off the choke completely and am on my way.

My theory is that you need some good vacuum to get fuel drawing well through the pilot jets and the above procedure does that. What's funny is that other bikes using the very similar carbs don't seem to have this quirk.

Comment

check the intake manifolds for air leaks, the rubber will separate from the metal, and you cant even tell with out them off or pulling real hard on them, all it takes is a little air to throw off the carbs, i just replaced 2 on mine,and had this problem on other bikes i hope this helps, it sounds like this is the problem, just like what i went through

Comment

Working...
      X